Calculating work (positive or negative)

In summary: There will be work going into accelerating it - that is true. But ... it comes to rest again. What it took accelerating, it gave back coming to rest didn't it?There will be work going into accelerating it - that is true. But ... it comes to rest again. What it took accelerating, it gave back coming to rest didn't it?
okgo

Homework Statement

Estimate (to the nearest order of magnitude) how much work I must do to pick up a 12 kg box to a height of 1.3m. Does it mattert how I pick up the box (fast or slow, straight up or along a curvy path, etc.)?

Homework Equations

W=Fcos(x)S

The Attempt at a Solution

9.8(m/s^2)*12 kg = 117.6N
W=Fs
W=Fcos(angle)s
s=1.3m
If the box was lifted straight up, the angle is zero.
W=117.6cos(90)(1.3m)
W=0

It does not matter if you pick the box up slow or fast.I'm confused at the curvy part of the question. If I pick up the box at an angle, is it always negative since I'm doing work against gravity?

Physics news on Phys.org
okgo said:
If the box was lifted straight up, the angle is zero.
W=117.6cos(90)(1.3m)
W=0

If the angle is 0, why did you use 90?

Sorry, previously, I did the problem thinking it was zero, but that's horizontal, not vertical. Since you pick up the box it should be some degree above zero. I did the calculation picking the box straight up.

The question ask what happens if you did a wavy motion which got me confused. ?

okgo said:
Sorry, previously, I did the problem thinking it was zero, but that's horizontal, not vertical. Since you pick up the box it should be some degree above zero. I did the calculation picking the box straight up.

The question ask what happens if you did a wavy motion which got me confused. ?

I think you better resolve the first issue first.

In the work equation, Force times distance, the Cosθ term is to account for the projection of the force in the direction of motion.

If you were calculating work in moving the box horizontally then true enough the work would be 0 if the force applied was perpendicular and none of it was involved in moving it horizontally.

But the question you are dealing with is that the direction of motion is UP. And that is against gravity which is down. And your force is UP. And the angle with respect to that movement is 0. And using θ of 0° would be correct.

Okay so if I pick the box up at a curvy path, which might mean at an angle, then there would be work done.

But about the speed of the object. Does that mean if I pick up the box twice as fast I would have to do 2*N, therefore 2*W? Or does the equation only depend on the weight of the object?

okgo said:
Okay so if I pick the box up at a curvy path, which might mean at an angle, then there would be work done.

But about the speed of the object. Does that mean if I pick up the box twice as fast I would have to do 2*N, therefore 2*W? Or does the equation only depend on the weight of the object?

There will be work going into accelerating it - that is true. But ... it comes to rest again. What it took accelerating, it gave back coming to rest didn't it?

That leaves just the vertical distance traveled then.

Now for your curved path consider that at any point if there is a slope that any movement horizontally is 0 work and you are then adding up only all the instantaneous incremental vertical displacements, just as if you lifted it straight up.

1. What is work and how is it calculated?

Work is the measure of energy transfer that occurs when a force is applied to an object and causes it to move. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied to the object by the distance it moves in the direction of the force. The formula for work is W = F*d, where W is work, F is force, and d is distance.

2. What is the difference between positive and negative work?

Positive work occurs when the force and distance are in the same direction, meaning the object is moving in the direction of the force. This results in energy being transferred to the object. Negative work occurs when the force and distance are in opposite directions, meaning the object is moving against the force. This results in the object losing energy.

3. How is work related to power?

Work and power are related through the formula P = W/t, where P is power, W is work, and t is time. Power is the rate at which work is done, meaning it measures how quickly energy is transferred. The more work done in a given amount of time, the greater the power.

4. Can work be negative when the object is moving in the same direction as the force?

No, work cannot be negative when the object is moving in the same direction as the force. This would result in a positive value for work because the force and distance are in the same direction. Negative work can only occur when the object is moving against the force.

5. How is work calculated when the force is not constant?

When the force is not constant, work can be calculated by finding the area under the force vs. distance curve. This is done by breaking the distance into small intervals and calculating the work for each interval using the formula W = F*d. The work for each interval is then added together to find the total work done.