Missing Threads? Investigating Why Old Threads Suddenly Appear

• Bug
  • Thread starter lisab
  • Start date
In summary: when I was on my laptop and I switched to my phone...my laptop's internet was cut off so I couldn't post for a little while. I don't know if that's related, but it's something to think about.When I get to work tomorrow, I'll do that...thanks a bunch, nvn :smile:!Just out of curiosity, are both machines on the same internet service provider? It could be that they're having technical glitches if so.
lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I've been noticing this happening lately...I don't see threads until they are several hours old.

For example, this evening, at about 8:50, a new thread appeared (Calif woman gets 6 years for fatal texting crash). I clicked on it only to find there were already ~12 posts in it, and that it had started around noon my time. I've been on several times off and on today, but this is the first I've seen this thread.

Makes me think, how many threads am I missing altogether?

Physics news on Phys.org
Sometimes when I've been off the site and I come back on it appears as it did the first time I'd been on that day until I refresh. I don't know exactly what you're doing when you come back on the site lisa, but perhaps that is a possibility?

OK so it happened again today...I was on and off PF all day when I was at work. But when I got home, I saw this thread:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=308392

But I had not seen that all day, not until I got home, hours after was started.

Any ideas?

Again today, with the the "How long will people continue to talk about Michael Jackson?" thread. (Btw I don't give a rip about MJ, it just happened on that thread :yuck:).

I was on PF several times at work, then several more at home...there was no MJ thread, I'd have noticed it, believe me. Finally I saw it at 8:22 (Pacific time), when it was many hours old. At work I use IE, at home I use Chrome.

And I refresh quite often. But more often I get timed out, and I have to sign in again...I've assumed that's the same as refreshing.

In any case, I do both, refreshing and re-signing in, several times through the day. Yet I sometimes don't see new threads until they're several hours old, with lots of posts already...I have no idea how many I never see.

Any ideas?

lisab said:
Makes me think, how many threads am I missing altogether?

27. Altogether, you've missed 27 threads.

:biggrin:

Does this happen on two different machines, running different internet browsers?

cristo said:
Does this happen on two different machines, running different internet browsers?

Yes...is it just me :cry:?

lisab said:
Yes...is it just me :cry:?

It certainly sounds a little strange. If it was one machine, I'd say do the usual (clear cookies etc. etc.), but I'm not sure this will help in this case. Maybe when you switch from one machine to the other you should use the "log out" which should clear all these things.

Say if you click on get posts > new posts, are the posts that you get in the list from the last few minutes, or from hours ago?

It could be something to do with how the browser is set up. If I remember correctly IE has an option where it will just load what is cached until the window is closed and the website accessed again.

Kurdt said:
It could be something to do with how the browser is set up. If I remember correctly IE has an option where it will just load what is cached until the window is closed and the website accessed again.

Ahh yes, that could be true. Unfortunately (well, fortunately really!), I don't have a windows machine so can't check either IE or chrome.

cristo said:
It certainly sounds a little strange. If it was one machine, I'd say do the usual (clear cookies etc. etc.), but I'm not sure this will help in this case. Maybe when you switch from one machine to the other you should use the "log out" which should clear all these things.

Say if you click on get posts > new posts, are the posts that you get in the list from the last few minutes, or from hours ago?

Looks like I get an updated list. I'll start checking 'new posts' frequently to see if that will work.

Perhaps try this. In IE 7, select Tools > Internet Options > General > Browsing history > Settings > Check for newer versions of stored pages, and see if "Never" is selected. If so, change this to "Automatically," or perhaps "Every time I visit the webpage." Press OK > OK. Restart your browser.

nvn said:
Perhaps try this. In IE 7, select Tools > Internet Options > General > Browsing history > Settings > Check for newer versions of stored pages, and see if "Never" is selected. If so, change this to "Automatically," or perhaps "Every time I visit the webpage." Press OK > OK. Restart your browser.

When I get to work tomorrow, I'll do that...thanks a bunch, nvn :smile:!

Just out of curiosity, are both machines on the same internet service provider? It could be that they're having technical glitches if so.
The closest that I've ever come to this problem is that threads with new posts since I'd last seen them used to show up with bolded titles. Now only some of them do. A minor nuisance at worst.

The only problem I've been having lately (other than buttons that show up as text until I mouse over them) is that when I read a single thread on a forum, when I return to the thread index page, everything is marked as if I've read it already...or everything but one or two threads...even when there were a dozen or so threads with unread posts when I first opened the page. It makes it a lot easier to miss new threads when they are not bolded as new threads or threads with new posts. Maybe that's what's happening to you too, that some new threads aren't showing up as new, so you don't notice them until finally they appear in bold again.

Dang :grumpy:. It happened again today, with the thread "Archeomagnetic Jerks & Abrupt Climate Change". And I *know* I checked that forum several times today, both at home and at work.

I'm 99% certain that it wasn't just not bold, but that it didn't show at all. But I've also experienced what Danger and Moonie mentioned, new threads or threads with new posts that don't show up as bold.

1. What are "missing threads" in the context of this study?

"Missing threads" refer to posts or comments on online forums or social media platforms that were previously invisible or deleted, but suddenly reappear after a period of time.

2. What are the potential reasons for old threads to suddenly reappear?

There are several potential reasons for old threads to suddenly reappear, including technical glitches, changes in moderation policies, or the discovery of new information related to the thread.

3. How common is the phenomenon of missing threads?

This is a relatively new area of study, but initial research suggests that missing threads are a common occurrence on popular online platforms.

4. What are the implications of this study for online communities?

This study can help us better understand the dynamics of online communities and the impact of moderation policies on the visibility of content. It may also shed light on the potential biases and limitations of online discussions.

5. What are the potential future directions for research in this area?

Future research could investigate the frequency and patterns of missing threads across different online platforms and cultures. It could also explore the psychological and social factors behind the deletion and reappearance of threads, as well as the consequences for online discourse and community dynamics.