Mind / brain / thought ehnanceing pills

• Medical
  • Thread starter 334dave
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Brain Mind
In summary, Psychostimulants are being prescribed more and more frequently for people with TBI, and there is some preliminary evidence that they may be helpful in improving cognitive function. There are potential side effects to these drugs, however, and more research is needed to determine the long-term safety and efficacy of using them in this way.
334dave
there was some thing on the news not long ago and i would like to find out what has happened in this field

folks are takeing med that tho made for some other condition are enhanceing their
abbility to thing better and be more on "their game" then normal
and that the military has also been checking in on this

meds devloped for ahzimewrs and add and other conditions
have any been checked out for TBI as the new brain injured GI's comeing
home have issues with thought also ...
is it possable these will help them?

Biology news on Phys.org
Many people take adderall and provigil to stay awake / focus better. This is becoming more and more common especially amongst scientists and students.

As for your second question, I was not aware of anyone trying to treat traumatic brain injury (TBI) with psychophamacology. However, I just did a quick search and it turns out you're right. They are prescribing Ritalin for traumatic brain injury. It seems to improve scores on various measures of cognitive function that are often impaired by TBI.

c.f. (Whyte et. al. 2002 Psychostimulant use in the rehabilitation of individuals with traumatic brain injury)

i worked at a VA center and know several TBI survivors some mild, some not so ..
one thing that seems to be with all is that they are absent minded or forget want they were after or were they put something)and are easily distracted from conversation or task at hand...
would thoes symptions be helped by any of thoes meds?
does anyone know if there any clincial trials investagating this aspect of brain pills?
hummm... and what side effects from these meds..
btw: do you have a link for the Ritalin use?

Cincinnatus said:
c.f. (Whyte et. al. 2002 Psychostimulant use in the rehabilitation of individuals with traumatic brain injury)

Do you have a more complete citation for this? The journal and volume number? This sounds interesting and I'd like to read more about it.

I think I found it:

J. Whyte, M. Vaccaro, P. Grieb-Neff and T. Hart, Psychostimulant use in the rehabilitation of individuals with traumatic brain injury, Journal of Head Trauma Rehabilitation 17 (2002), pp. 284–289.

334dave said:
there was some thing on the news not long ago and i would like to find out what has happened in this field

folks are takeing med that tho made for some other condition are enhanceing their
abbility to thing better and be more on "their game" then normal
and that the military has also been checking in on this

meds devloped for ahzimewrs and add and other conditions
have any been checked out for TBI as the new brain injured GI's comeing
home have issues with thought also ...
is it possable these will help them?

yeah, I'm sure the military would be interested. especially considering they are keeping men in combat situations far longer than they should. maybe they should invest in drugs that induce a sociopathic/psychopathic state, since those seem to be the ones least affected. in any case, don't get the idea that what the military does would be in your best interest, because not only can amphetamine type drugs like adderall cause harm to your mental state, but modafinil can cause psychosis, too.

one of the more interesting alzheimer trials i read about actually involved injecting a TNFalpha reducing drug directly into patients' spinal/brain fluid. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Etanercept#Experimental.2Foff-label_uses

Math Is Hard said:
I think I found it:

J. Whyte, M. Vaccaro, P. Grieb-Neff and T. Hart, Psychostimulant use in the rehabilitation of individuals with traumatic brain injury, Journal of Head Trauma Rehabilitation 17 (2002), pp. 284–289.

and jest were can i find this on line?
could you provide a link or email me the article..
2002 seems a lot of resurch should have been done since then..

Math Is Hard said:

Yep, that was the article I saw. I'm sure there must be more recent written about this since 2002... though this is pretty far from my area.

There seems to be a more extensive literature on the use of psychostimulants in rehabilitation after stroke (or other CVA). The logic behind their use in both cases is probably similar...

yes i found the buy it now on that site also..
well you guys seem to have some thoughts on the idea of stimulant treatment for some of the symptoms of TBI or perhaps have some experience in dealing with TBI survivors...
care to comment on this aspect ?

What are mind/brain/thought enhancing pills?

Mind/brain/thought enhancing pills are a type of drug or supplement that claim to improve cognitive function, memory, and overall brain performance. They are often marketed as a way to boost focus, creativity, and problem-solving abilities.

Do these pills actually work?

The effectiveness of mind/brain/thought enhancing pills is still a subject of debate in the scientific community. While some studies have shown potential benefits, the results are not always consistent. More research is needed to fully understand the effects of these pills on the brain.

What are the potential risks and side effects of taking these pills?

Like any drug or supplement, there can be potential risks and side effects associated with mind/brain/thought enhancing pills. Some common side effects may include headaches, dizziness, nausea, and trouble sleeping. It is important to consult with a healthcare professional before taking these pills, especially if you have any underlying health conditions.

Are these pills safe for everyone to take?

No, these pills may not be safe for everyone to take. People who are pregnant, breastfeeding, or have certain medical conditions should avoid taking these pills. It is always best to consult with a healthcare professional before starting any new supplement or medication.

What are some natural alternatives to mind/brain/thought enhancing pills?

There are many ways to naturally enhance cognitive function and brain performance without taking pills. Some options include a healthy diet, regular exercise, getting enough sleep, and engaging in mentally stimulating activities such as puzzles or learning a new skill. Additionally, practicing stress-reducing techniques like meditation or yoga can also help improve brain function.