Determining maximum force applied on a lever

In summary: C_{x} = 422.7 N, C_{y} = 267.0 N\frac{3}{4}C_{y} - C_{x} = P\frac{3}{4}(267.0) - (-422.7) = PC_{y} = -\frac{4}{5}T + P = 0\frac{4}{5}T + (-422.7) = 0-\frac{4}{5}T + P = 0=-\frac{4}{5}T + 623.0
KEØM

Homework Statement

The lever BCD is hinged at C and is attached to a control rod at B. Determine the maximum force [tex]\vec{P}[/tex] which can be safely applied at D
if the maximum allowable value of the reaction at C is 500 N.

Here is a picture of the problem. It is number 4.20.
"[URL title="download file from Jumala Files"]http://jumalafiles.info/showfile2-14173678132920785343298714637103960/problem420.pdf [/URL]

Homework Equations

[tex]\Sigma F_{x} = 0[/tex]

[tex]\Sigma F_{y} = 0[/tex]

[tex]\Sigma M_{C} = 0[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I know I have two unknowns at pin C [tex]C_{x}, C_{y}[/tex] but I don't know either of their magnitudes. I have a tension in rod BA and I don't its magnitude and I also don't know the magnitude of [tex]\vec{P}.[/tex] I only have 3 equations to work with here but more than that of unknowns. Am I missing a relationship here or am I not making a correct assumption?

Thanks in advance,

KEØM

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
But you also have a given equation regarding the magnitude of C. Therefore, don't you have four equations?

I must just not be seeing how that equation helps me because I can't solve for any thing right now.

[tex]\Sigma M_{B} = -(.03)C_{x} - (.04)C_{y} - (.105)P = 0[/tex]

[tex]\Sigma F_{y} = C_{y} + Tsin(\theta) = 0[/tex]

[tex]\Sigma F_{x} = C_{x} + P + Tcos(\theta) = 0[/tex]

[tex] C = 500 = \sqrt{(C_{x})^2 + (C_{y})^2}[/tex]

[tex]\theta = 53.1^{\circ}[/tex]

Last edited by a moderator:
I have tried several times in solving these four equations and I just can't do it. Are you sure I am not missing some assumption or relationship?

Your equations are correct. Use the advice in post 4. If you show your work, it will quickly uncover your algebra mistake.

[tex]\Sigma M_{B} = -(.03)C_{x} - (.04)C_{y} - (.105)P = 0 [/tex]

[tex]\Sigma F_{y} = C_{y} + Tsin(\theta) = 0[/tex]

[tex]\Sigma F_{x} = C_{x} + P + Tcos(\theta) = 0[/tex]

[tex]C = 500 = \sqrt{(C_{x})^2 + (C_{y})^2}[/tex]

[tex]\theta = 53.1^{\circ}[/tex]

[tex]C_{y} + Tsin(\theta) = 0 \Rightarrow C_{y} = -\frac{4}{5}T[/tex]

[tex]C_{x} + P + Tcos(\theta) = 0 \Rightarrow C_{x} + P + \frac{3}{5}T = 0[/tex]

[tex]T = -\frac{5}{4}C_{y}[/tex]

[tex]C_{x} -\frac{1}{4}C_{y} = -P[/tex]

[tex]-(.03)C_{x} - (.04)C_{y} - (.105)P = 0 \Rightarrow .2857C_{x} + 0.3810C_{y} = -P[/tex]

[tex]C_{x} -\frac{1}{4}C_{y} = .2857C_{x} + 0.3810C_{y}[/tex]

[tex]C_{x} -\frac{1}{4}C_{y} = 2857C_{x} + 0.3810C_{y}[/tex]

[tex]0.7143C_{x} = 0.6310C_{y} \Rightarrow 1.13C_{x} = C_{y}[/tex]

[tex]500^2 = C_{x}^2 + (1.13C_{x})^2[/tex]

[tex]C_{x} = 331.02 N, C_{y} = 374.74 N[/tex]

While I was typing my failed attempt in here I finally realized how to solve it.

Is this right? When I try to solve for P I am getting a negative answer.

Thanks again for helping me nvn,

KEØM

Close, but not quite; (3/5)*(5/4) is not equal to 1/4. Try it again. Also, always place a zero before the decimal point for numbers less than 1.

Woops! Stupid Mistakes. Now I get:

[tex]C_{x} = 422.7 N, C_{y} = 267.0 N[/tex]

This doesn't change the negative value I get for P though.

Very good, except notice that when you solve for Cx, it is actually Cx = +/-(number)^0.5. Knowing P is positive, you can figure out whether the other +/- values should be positive or negative.

Ok. So if I choose [tex]C_{x}[/tex] to be negative then:

[tex]\frac{3}{4}C_{y} - C_{x} = P \Rightarrow \frac{3}{4}(267.0) - (-422.7) = P[/tex]

[tex] P = 623.0 N [/tex] and I have my answer

Thanks again,

KEØM

No, plug your answer for Cx into an earlier equation to solve for Cy, to obtain the correct sign on Cy.

1. What is a lever?

A lever is a simple machine consisting of a rigid bar that rotates around a fixed point called the fulcrum. It can be used to multiply or redirect an applied force.

2. How do you determine the maximum force applied on a lever?

The maximum force applied on a lever can be determined by using the principle of moments, which states that the sum of clockwise moments is equal to the sum of counterclockwise moments. By setting the applied force and distance from the fulcrum equal on both sides of the equation, the maximum force can be calculated.

3. What is the relationship between the distance from the fulcrum and the applied force?

The relationship between the distance from the fulcrum and the applied force is inversely proportional. This means that as the distance from the fulcrum increases, the applied force decreases and vice versa.

4. Can the maximum force applied on a lever be increased?

Yes, the maximum force applied on a lever can be increased by either increasing the length of the lever or by increasing the distance from the fulcrum to the point where the force is applied.

5. How does the placement of the fulcrum affect the maximum force applied on a lever?

The placement of the fulcrum affects the maximum force applied on a lever by changing the mechanical advantage of the lever. A shorter distance from the fulcrum to the point where the force is applied will result in a greater mechanical advantage and a larger maximum force, while a longer distance will result in a smaller mechanical advantage and a smaller maximum force.