Piezoelectricity measurement

In summary, the speaker is seeking advice on how to measure the piezoelectricity of a polymer film without sputtering electrodes onto it. One suggestion is to use an insulating film with holes cut out for the polymer film and conductive adhesive copper tape for connections. Another option is to use crocodile clips directly on the electrodes.
bearsthecat
Hi all,
I am trying to measure the piezoelectricity of a polymer film using a picoammeter. Right now I am trying to figure out the best way to make the connection to the film without sputtering electrodes onto it. I figure copper adhesive tape or silver paste might be the best way to go but would love any ideas you might have with setting this up. Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Get an insulating film such as Mylar or Tyvek, about the same thickness as your piezo film. Cut a hole in it about the same size as your polymer film.

Sputter / solder at one end of two equal strips of conductive adhesive copper tape for your outwards connections. Lay them down on either side of the piezo film segment at the opposite end of the tape. That way you have an insulating layer between your two electrodes and you have enough distance to the film that you're not going to destroy it if you need to make new connections on the ends.

Alternatively, you can just grip straight onto the electrodes with crocodile clips.

Greetings,

As a fellow scientist, I commend your efforts to measure the piezoelectricity of a polymer film. In terms of making a connection to the film without sputtering electrodes, I would suggest exploring the use of conductive adhesives or conductive ink as an alternative to copper adhesive tape or silver paste. These materials can provide a reliable and non-destructive connection to the film, allowing for accurate measurements without damaging the sample. Additionally, you may want to consider using a soft contact technique, such as using a conductive rubber pad, to minimize any potential damage to the film during the measurement process. I wish you success in your experiments and look forward to hearing about your results.

1. What is piezoelectricity measurement?

Piezoelectricity measurement is the process of quantifying the electric charge that is generated in certain materials when they are subjected to mechanical stress or pressure. This phenomenon is known as the piezoelectric effect and is commonly observed in materials such as crystals, ceramics, and biological tissues.

2. How is piezoelectricity measured?

Piezoelectricity can be measured using a device called a piezoelectric sensor or transducer. This device converts mechanical energy into an electrical signal, which can then be measured using an instrument such as an oscilloscope or voltmeter. The magnitude of the electrical signal is directly proportional to the amount of mechanical stress applied to the material.

3. What are some applications of piezoelectricity measurement?

Piezoelectricity measurement has a wide range of applications, including in medical devices, acoustic sensors, energy harvesting systems, and precision measurement tools. It is also commonly used in musical instruments such as electric guitars and electronic drums.

4. What are some challenges in piezoelectricity measurement?

One of the main challenges in piezoelectricity measurement is ensuring accuracy and reliability. The electrical signal generated by piezoelectric materials can be very small and easily affected by external factors such as temperature and humidity. This requires careful calibration and shielding of the measurement equipment.

5. Can piezoelectricity be measured in all materials?

No, piezoelectricity can only be measured in materials that exhibit the piezoelectric effect. These materials have a specific crystal structure that allows them to generate an electrical charge when subjected to mechanical stress. Common examples include quartz, tourmaline, and certain types of ceramics.