Small Upgrade Thursday: Forum Software Update

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
We will be performing a minor update to the forum software tomorrow night. Shouldn't take more than 10-15min. Should close up some bugs. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Oh, sure, you couldn't do it LAST night, when I needed motivation to stop procrastinating. :biggrin:

Moonbear said:
Oh, sure, you couldn't do it LAST night, when I needed motivation to stop procrastinating. :biggrin:

Stop tomorrow! :biggrin:

(oh, any chance of fixing the Library subscriptions? :redface:)

tiny-tim said:
Stop tomorrow! :biggrin:

(oh, any chance of fixing the Library subscriptions? :redface:)

what is wrong with subscriptions?

Greg Bernhardt said:
what is wrong with subscriptions?

The last time I checked, they weren't working …

(I don't think they've ever worked, except on February 17th, when suddenly dozens of notifications came through all at once … see https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=2080537&postcount=10")

for example, I subscribed to cooper pair (on 22nd or 23rd August, I think), and it was edited on 29th August, but I received no notification. :redface:

Last edited by a moderator:
tiny-tim said:
The last time I checked, they weren't working …

(I don't think they've ever worked, except on February 17th, when suddenly dozens of notifications came through all at once … see https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=2080537&postcount=10")

for example, I subscribed to cooper pair (on 22nd or 23rd August, I think), and it was edited on 29th August, but I received no notification. :redface:

hmmm works for me, I just subscribed to cooper pair, did a test edit and ran the cronjob and got the PM.

Last edited:
[ allcaps ]Where will we meet during the blackout?[ /allcaps ]

Library subscriptions

Hi Greg! :smile:
Greg Bernhardt said:
hmmm works for me, I just subscribed to cooper pair, did a test edit and ran the cronjob and got the PM.

(wot's a cronjob? :confused:)

Wow! just got 32 notifications in 2 minutes.

Did you trigger something?

(but no notifications of other members' edits of my own entries, eg exponential Feynman diagrams free energy and resistivity , and no option to subscribe to them :redface:)

tiny-tim said:
Hi Greg! :smile:

Wow! just got 32 notifications in 2 minutes.

Did you trigger something?

(but no notifications of other members' edits of my own entries, eg exponential Feynman diagrams free energy and resistivity , and no option to subscribe to them :redface:)

ok this is helpful, thanks :)

Greg Bernhardt said:
We will be performing a minor update to the forum software tomorrow night. Shouldn't take more than 10-15min. Should close up some bugs. Thanks!
Last Tuesday, we had a "10-15 min" email outage at work for a server reboot. I had to use my personal email until Thursday!

Good luck, Greg! :biggrin:

russ_watters said:
Last Tuesday, we had a "10-15 min" email outage at work for a server reboot. I had to use my personal email until Thursday!

Good luck, Greg! :biggrin:

Uh oh! They have one of those planned at the university on Sunday...just when all my students will be panicking and trying to send me emails about their lab exam (they had the lecture exam today).

tiny-tim said:
Cron is a time-based job scheduler in Unix-like computer operating systems. 'cron' is short for 'chronograph'

So you can define for instance a cron job such as "make coffee at 6:25 am" if you intend to wake up at 6:30 am. Of course, it only works on Unix-based OS :cool:

humanino said:

So you can define for instance a cron job such as "make coffee at 6:25 am" if you intend to wake up at 6:30 am. Of course, it only works on Unix-based OS :cool:
And only if http://xkcd.com/149/" ...

Last edited by a moderator:
all done, carry on

What is Small Upgrade Thursday?

Small Upgrade Thursday is a regular event where the forum software is updated with small changes and improvements.

Why is the forum software updated on Thursdays?

Thursdays are typically slower days on forums, making it easier to perform the updates without disrupting users' experiences.

What kind of changes are typically included in Small Upgrade Thursday?

Small Upgrade Thursday focuses on minor updates and improvements, such as bug fixes, performance enhancements, and small feature additions.

How often does Small Upgrade Thursday occur?

Small Upgrade Thursday occurs once a week on Thursdays, unless there is a major update that requires more time and planning.

What can users expect after Small Upgrade Thursday?

Users can expect a smoother and more efficient forum experience after Small Upgrade Thursday, as any issues or bugs have been addressed and improvements have been made.