Finding intial velocity given vertical and horizontal displacement

In summary, the equation for finding initial velocity given vertical and horizontal displacement is v0 = √(g*dy / sin(2θ)), where v0 is the initial velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), dy is the vertical displacement, and θ is the angle of launch. The angle of launch can be calculated using the equation θ = 1/2 * tan^-1((g*dx) / (v0^2)), where θ is the angle of launch, g is the acceleration due to gravity, dx is the horizontal displacement, and v0 is the initial velocity. The units for initial velocity when using this equation are meters per second (m/s).
bigdaddydark7
what is the initial velocity when:
Horizontal displacement= 1.51
Vertical displacement= -.273
angle launched= 36

Physics news on Phys.org
could someone at least tell me the equations i need to use, because i am totally lost

bigdaddydark7 said:
could someone at least tell me the equations i need to use, because i am totally lost
Is there any units for the displacements.
Do you know, how to resolve the velocity into vertical and horizontal components?
Out of this, which component remains constant?
What are the kinematic equations?

What is the equation for finding initial velocity given vertical and horizontal displacement?

The equation for finding initial velocity given vertical and horizontal displacement is v0 = √(g*dy / sin(2θ)), where v0 is the initial velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s2), dy is the vertical displacement, and θ is the angle of launch.

How do you calculate the angle of launch for finding initial velocity?

The angle of launch can be calculated using the equation θ = 1/2 * tan-1((g*dx) / (v02)), where θ is the angle of launch, g is the acceleration due to gravity, dx is the horizontal displacement, and v0 is the initial velocity.

What are the units for initial velocity when using this equation?

The units for initial velocity when using this equation are meters per second (m/s).

Can this equation be used for any projectile motion scenario?

Yes, this equation can be used for any projectile motion scenario as long as the initial vertical and horizontal displacements are known.

Does air resistance affect the accuracy of this equation?

Yes, air resistance can affect the accuracy of this equation as it does not take into account the external forces acting on the projectile. This equation is most accurate when air resistance is negligible.