Susskind Lectures on General Relativity

In summary, Don Langlois says that the Leonard Susskind lectures on General Relativity are great and that you can watch them at a faster speed on VLC. He also says that they start out at an introductory level.
drlang
Does anyone know where I can get Leonard Susskinds lectures on General Relativity on dvd?

They are on Youtube but I would like to watch them on dvd as the downloading where I am is slow.

Thanks

Will this forum notify me of a reply to this post?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
drlang said:
Does anyone know where I can get Leonard Susskinds lectures on General Relativity on dvd?

They are on Youtube but I would like to watch them on dvd as the downloading where I am is slow.

Thanks

drang@tx3.net

Don Langlois

Ridge Explorations LLC
52231 SE 496th Pl.
Greenwater, WA 98022
Phone: 253-891-0149
Email: info@ridgeexplorations.com
www.RidgeExplorations.com

You probably can create your own dvd of his videos lectures

I do not know how to do that so I was hoping to purchase I guess.

THis is a very easy thing to do yourself, I've done it for his quantum mechanics videos but I found it got too difficult, I suppose I'de be able for them in a month.

Anyway, I'll write you a quick tutorial so that you can do it for yourself.

Instruments;

1. A Blank disk

2. Playlist for Susskind's General Relativity
http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=6C8BDEEBA6BDC78D

3. Easy YouTube Video Downloader 2.1
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/10137

Note: This is for firefox, if you use IE or opera or something, do a google search on downloading a video from youtube, there are hundreds of ways to download videos, type: "download video for youtube", or something.

Free ashampoo Studio2010 for burning to a disk
http://www.mydigitallife.info/2009/10/05/download-ashampoo-burning-studio-2010-9-10-with-free-full-version-serial-license-key/

Note: This is a free and legal program. Follow the tutorial I've included to the letter so that you do it right. I've done it and can guarantee that it works.

Method (in the madness)

1. Install the firfox addon.

2. Download the video, as an .mp4, if it doesn't work for some reason get the .flv version, if you use an online downloader then use the .avi, as you're installing Ashampoo.
NOTE: To watch .flv videos on a pc you'll more than likely need vlc player, this is free - do a google search.

3. Register Ashampoo in the way the tutorial described.

4. Burn the Lectures to the disk, if you have any problems with ashampoo find an online help file, it's pretty easy but you might need a few disks of or a rewriteable one so that you are sure which aspect of ashampoo you should use.

NOTE: You can use most of this tutorial to put the lectures on our phone or ipod, it's worth googling to find out what works best for your setup, i think 3gp is the file format for your phone, it depends.

(: Hope this helps :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi

Although I like the Suskind lectures and follow the material pretty well, I find the task downloading the lectures from web too much. This is why I wanted to buy them.

I use IE and my patience for computer tasks like this is short.

Maybe I could buy the discs form you.

Thank you

Don

You could download them all at once through iTunes on iTunes U. Then it would be easy to burn them.

Thanks for all your help. I do not have an I pod or do I know how to use one.

You don't need an iPod to use iTunes.

What is itunes ?

drlang said:

Thanks

drang@tx3.net

Don Langlois

Ridge Explorations LLC
52231 SE 496th Pl.
Greenwater, WA 98022
Phone: 253-891-0149
Email: info@ridgeexplorations.com
www.RidgeExplorations.com

Are they useful? do they start at an introductory level?

I thought they were great. Yes, they start out at an introductory level. I do like watching them on vlc at 1.5 to double speed though because he talks pretty slow.

1. What is the Susskind Lectures on General Relativity?

The Susskind Lectures on General Relativity are a series of lectures given by physicist Leonard Susskind that aim to explain the fundamental concepts and principles of general relativity, a theory of gravity proposed by Albert Einstein. The lectures cover topics such as spacetime, curvature, black holes, and cosmology.

2. Who is Leonard Susskind?

Leonard Susskind is a renowned physicist and professor at Stanford University. He is known for his contributions to string theory, quantum mechanics, and black hole physics. He is also the author of several popular science books, including "The Black Hole War" and "The Cosmic Landscape".

3. Are the Susskind Lectures on General Relativity suitable for beginners?

While the lectures assume a basic understanding of physics and mathematics, they are designed to be accessible to a general audience. Susskind uses clear and concise language to explain complex concepts, making the lectures suitable for beginners who are interested in learning about general relativity.

4. How can I access the Susskind Lectures on General Relativity?

The Susskind Lectures on General Relativity are available on various online platforms, such as YouTube and Stanford Online. Some universities also offer the lectures as part of their physics courses. Additionally, Susskind's lectures have been compiled into books, making them accessible in print form as well.

5. What can I gain from watching the Susskind Lectures on General Relativity?

The Susskind Lectures on General Relativity offer a comprehensive and engaging introduction to one of the most influential theories in modern physics. By watching these lectures, you can gain a deeper understanding of the nature of spacetime, gravity, and the universe as a whole. You can also learn about the latest developments and applications of general relativity in fields such as astrophysics and cosmology.