Goddam Seagate Harddisk has bad sectors

• Thread starter Saint
  • Start date
In summary, a Seagate harddisk has bad sectors that may need to be repaired by formatting it to NTFS.
Saint
Seagate Harddisk has bad sectors

I bought it 3 months ago, 60GB barracuda HDD, 7200RPM.
I installed Windows XP, yesterday it suddenly hanged and dumped memory and blue screen appeared.
I reset computer and boot into XP again, but failed.

I set it to be slave and connected it to another HDD, copied my files into the primary HDD.
After that I use a Win98 bootdisk to restart, and use FDISK to delete and create partition, reboot and
reformat it in FAT32, scandisk it and discovered that there is total 8MB bad sectors in it, scattered everywhere .

Why so bad?
If I format it again to NTFS, can i repair the bad sectors?

Last edited by a moderator:
Computer science news on Phys.org
Hmm, Interesting name.

Uhm, if you reformat your drive, it should take care of it completely. If your not using NTFS, you should use it. More then likely formating your drive will wipe out your current OS, but reinstalling isn't to bad.

But seems you should be able to run a Disk defrag within windows, which is under your Accesories Folder in System Tools. I'd try this first, then reformatting.

But seems NTFS is much better, stable, etc.

If it is only 3 months old, it is prolly within it's warranty period. Just send it back and stay on the safe side...if you are seeing physical errors on the drive now, things will not get better, they'll get worse.

i lost the receipt, can't claim warranty anymore.:frown:

At our company, when we find a bad Western Digital drive, we just put the serial number in on western digital's website and wait for the replacement.

Perhaps the same can be done with seagate?

here is malaysia, not so gentleman, sad.:frown:

discovered that there is total 8MB bad sectors in it, scattered everywhere .
Why so bad?
If I format it again to NTFS, can i repair the bad sectors?

of course you can, if u use the right soft!
check this out:
http://www.programmersheaven.com/zone16/cat288/28658.htm
check the reviews!

Last edited by a moderator:

What are bad sectors on a hard disk and how do they affect my data?

Bad sectors are physical errors on a hard disk that can occur due to manufacturing defects, wear and tear, or other factors. They can affect the performance of the hard disk and also lead to data loss or corruption.

How do I know if my Seagate hard disk has bad sectors?

You can use diagnostic tools provided by Seagate or third-party software to scan for bad sectors on your hard disk. You may also notice slow performance, unusual noises, or frequent crashes which can indicate the presence of bad sectors.

Can bad sectors be repaired?

In some cases, bad sectors can be repaired by using disk repair utilities. However, if the bad sectors are caused by physical damage, they cannot be fixed and the hard disk may need to be replaced.

What causes bad sectors on a Seagate hard disk?

Bad sectors can be caused by a variety of factors such as manufacturing defects, physical damage, power outages, or malware. They can also occur over time as the hard disk is used and starts to wear out.

How can I prevent bad sectors on my Seagate hard disk?

You can prevent bad sectors by regularly backing up your data, avoiding sudden power outages, and using the hard disk properly (e.g. avoiding physical damage). It is also recommended to run regular disk maintenance and check for errors to catch any potential issues early on.