What is the difference between bromine solution and bromine water?

• Thread starter abcd8989
  • Start date
In summary, bromine solution or bromine water is a liquid formed by dissolving elemental bromine in water, with no ion formation. It is different from bromide solution, which contains bromide ions. Similarly, iodine solution may contain iodide ions, but iodine water is formed by dissolving elemental iodine in water.
abcd8989
I know that bromine water means the liquid formed by dissolving bromine in water. Bromine is a liquid in nature. What is bromine solution then?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
abcd8989 said:
I know that bromine water means the liquid formed by dissolving bromine in water. Bromine is a liquid in nature. What is bromine solution then?

Exactly what it sounds like. Bromine in solution. I expect bromide solutions so be more mainstream though, as it exists in aqueous solution while bromine is nonpolar and is more susceptible to nonpolar solvents like CCl4. I never heard of uncharged bromine stoms in solution before.

Actually, bromine solution exists. And it's not related to bromine ions.
It's safer to perform some experiments with bromine water (=bromine solution, they mean the same) then with elemental bromine. It has a few other uses, but I don't know them. IT'S NOT BROMIDE SOLUTION! Bromide solution is a solution with bromide ions. Bromine solution or bromine water is the solution of elemental bromine in water, with no ion formation. Since bromine is apolar, bromine is quite unsoluble in water, but its solutions are of use.The same thing goes for iodine solution. However, iodine water may contain some iodide ions, since solubility of iodine in water is greatly increase by the presence of iodide ions, due to the formation of triiodide ions (I3-).

What is the difference between a "Bromine solution" and "Bromine"?

A Bromine solution refers to a mixture of Bromine with another solvent, such as water or alcohol. This solution is often used for various industrial and laboratory purposes. On the other hand, Bromine is a chemical element with the symbol Br and atomic number 35. It is a reddish-brown liquid at room temperature and is highly reactive. So, while Bromine solution contains Bromine, Bromine itself is a pure element.

How does a Bromine solution compare to Bromine in terms of properties?

Bromine solution and Bromine have similar properties, but there are some key differences. Bromine solution is less reactive and easier to handle compared to pure Bromine. It also has a lower boiling point and is more stable in solution. However, Bromine itself is more toxic and corrosive than a Bromine solution.

What are the uses of a Bromine solution?

Bromine solution has various uses in different industries. It is commonly used as a disinfectant and oxidizing agent in water treatment. It is also used in the production of pesticides, dyes, and pharmaceuticals. In laboratory settings, Bromine solution is used as a reagent for various chemical reactions.

Is a Bromine solution safe to handle?

In general, a Bromine solution is safer to handle than pure Bromine. However, it is still a hazardous chemical and should be handled with caution. It can cause skin and eye irritation, and inhalation of its fumes can be harmful. It is important to follow proper safety protocols when handling a Bromine solution.

How is a Bromine solution made?

A Bromine solution can be made by dissolving pure Bromine in a solvent, such as water or alcohol. The concentration of the solution can vary depending on the intended use. Diluted solutions are often used for disinfection, while more concentrated solutions are used for chemical reactions. The preparation of a Bromine solution should be done in a well-ventilated area and with proper safety precautions in place.