Optimizing CO2 Flow in an IR Curing Oven: A Technical Analysis

• Thread starter sciencegen
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Co2 Ir
In summary, a sales rep from a company that manufactures conformal coating/curing systems was asked by a customer about the PSI input to an air knife in their 4ft IR-curing oven that would create a flow of 0.5% CO2. Due to production being shut down, the sales rep was unable to consult with an engineer and recommended testing on the actual apparatus for the most accurate answer. The amplification effect of the air knife is dependent on various factors and would require analysis from an engineer.
sciencegen
Hello all!

I'm a sales rep here at << company name removed by moderator>>, we manufacture conformal coating/curing systems. Normally, i'd just ask one of our engineers this question, but production as been shut down for the week as we move to a new facility, so I am out of contact.

A customer just asked me this question about his system.

The customer has one of our 4ft IR-curing ovens. Basically, its a long rectangular box with a conveyor running through it with two open ends.

On top of the conveyor, we have a 12 inch air knife (McMaster Carr 5191K27) that allows for the injection of in this case 100% CO2 into the oven. The air knife amplifies incoming air by 30:1 and @80psi injects gases at 40.8CFM (3.4 SCFM/inch)

On the conveyor we have a 300CFM exhaust blower that pulls plain air through the side holes, allowing air to flow over the product, and then out a vent hole in the bottom.

So...the customer asked me what PSI the input to the Air Knife should be to create a flow of through the oven (from the current provided by the exhaust) that contains 0.5% CO2.

Now, I know the naturally occurring amount of CO2 that would be flowing naturally is 0.387% (i think).

So the other .4613% CO2 has to come from the air knife i would think...i just don't know at what PSI input to the air knife would allow an CFM output from it that would mix with the flowing air from the exhaust that would create a .5% CO2 flow.

Any help/answer/advice would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
That is not a simple question. The easiest and most accurate way would be to test it on the actual apparatus in question and test samples of the resulting mixture. I wouldn't expect that anyone here would be capable of giving you an answer without spending a significant time on analysis of the whole geometry and technical specifications of the product.

The reason for this is the amplification effect of the air knife would be very dependent on the pressure and geometry of the device in question. You will need to talk to one of the companies engineers who have likely already done this type of analysis.

1. How does an IR curing oven reduce CO2 emissions?

An IR curing oven uses infrared radiation to cure or dry materials such as paint, coatings, or adhesives. This method requires less energy compared to traditional thermal curing methods, resulting in lower energy consumption and reduced CO2 emissions.

2. What is the environmental impact of using an IR curing oven?

The use of an IR curing oven can significantly reduce the environmental impact of industrial processes. As mentioned, it consumes less energy, which results in lower CO2 emissions. It also reduces waste and improves the overall efficiency of the curing process.

3. How much CO2 can be saved by using an IR curing oven?

The amount of CO2 saved by using an IR curing oven depends on various factors such as the size and type of oven, the materials being cured, and the efficiency of the oven. However, it has been reported that using an IR curing oven can reduce CO2 emissions by up to 80% compared to traditional curing methods.

4. Are there any other environmental benefits of using an IR curing oven?

Aside from reducing CO2 emissions, an IR curing oven also has other environmental benefits. It does not emit any harmful substances or VOCs, which can be damaging to both the environment and human health. It also has a faster curing time, which reduces energy consumption and further reduces its environmental impact.

5. Is there a difference in CO2 emissions between gas and electric IR curing ovens?

Yes, there is a difference in CO2 emissions between gas and electric IR curing ovens. Gas ovens emit more CO2 compared to electric ovens, as they burn fossil fuels to generate heat. However, electric ovens still require energy to operate, so it is important to choose a high-efficiency model to minimize CO2 emissions.