1D wave equation open boundary

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with simulating an open end string using the 1D wave equation in MATLAB. The speaker is trying to find a way to eliminate reflection from the free end and mentions using zero gradient boundary conditions. However, this creates partial reflections and they are directed towards implementing absorbing boundary conditions. The speaker thanks the other person for putting them on the right track.
emirs
I am trying to write a solver for a 1D wave equation in MATLAB, and I have run into interesting problem that I just can't find a way out of.

I start with the wave equation, and then discretize it, to arrive at the following,

U{n+1}(j)=a*(U{n}(j+1)-2*U{n}(j)+U{n}(j-1))+2*U{n}(j)-U{n-1}(j) (for (j=1...end-1))

I'm trying to simulate an open end string (perturbate it in the middle for example, and I want the wave to disappear on the border)

Usually it is done (correct me if I'm wrong) with applying zero gradient boundary condition, which in my case is:
U{n}(end+1)=U{n}(end-1)
and leads to:
U{n+1}(end)=a*(-2*U{n}(end)+2*U{n}(end-1))+2*U{n}(end)-U{n-1}(end);

Unfortunately this condition creates a partial reflection from the end which is supposed to be free.

Please help

Regards

Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone?

Well, there ARE partial reflections from a free end, I think...the energy cannot transfer into the surrounding air with perfect efficiency.

But to eliminate as much reflection as possible, you should look up "absorbing boundary conditions". These are a bit tricky to implement and it may take a fair bit of reading to get them right.

Thank you, it is what I was looking for. You hae put me on the right track.

I understand the challenge you are facing in writing a solver for a 1D wave equation with an open boundary. It is important to carefully consider the boundary conditions in order to accurately simulate the behavior of the wave.

One potential solution to your problem could be to use an absorbing boundary condition. This involves introducing a damping term at the boundary that dissipates the energy of the wave as it reaches the end. This can help reduce the reflection from the boundary and create a more realistic simulation of an open end.

Another approach could be to use a perfectly matched layer (PML) boundary condition. PML is a technique commonly used in computational electromagnetics to simulate open boundaries. It involves adding an artificial layer around the boundary that absorbs the wave without reflecting it back. This can be a more complex approach, but it may provide more accurate results.

I would also recommend checking your discretization scheme and ensuring that it is stable and accurate. Sometimes, small errors in the discretization can lead to unexpected behavior at the boundaries.

In conclusion, there are various techniques that can be used to simulate open boundaries in a 1D wave equation. It is important to carefully consider the specific conditions and choose the most appropriate approach for your simulation. I hope this helps and good luck with your solver.

1. What is the 1D wave equation open boundary?

The 1D wave equation open boundary is a mathematical model used to describe the propagation of waves in one dimension, such as sound or electromagnetic waves. It takes into account the boundary conditions of an open system, where waves can freely pass through without being reflected.

2. How is the 1D wave equation derived?

The 1D wave equation is derived from the principles of linear elasticity and Newton's second law of motion. It represents the relationship between the displacement, velocity, and acceleration of a wave in one dimension.

3. What are the boundary conditions for an open system in the 1D wave equation?

The boundary conditions for an open system in the 1D wave equation include the absence of any reflected waves and the continuity of the wave's displacement and velocity at the boundary.

4. What is the significance of the 1D wave equation open boundary in real-world applications?

The 1D wave equation open boundary is crucial in understanding and predicting the behavior of waves in various real-world situations, such as the transmission of sound through open spaces or the propagation of seismic waves in the Earth's crust.

5. Are there any limitations to the 1D wave equation open boundary?

Yes, the 1D wave equation open boundary has limitations in its applicability to real-world situations. It assumes a perfectly linear and homogeneous medium, which may not always be the case in practical scenarios. It also does not take into account any external factors that may affect the propagation of waves, such as wind or obstacles.