Can Silver be Electroplated with Silver Cyanide in a Nitric Acid Solution?

In summary, the speaker is looking for a way to electroplate silver to remove tarnish and is considering using silver cyanide in a nitric acid solution. However, they have concerns about safety and are open to alternative silver salts such as AgNO3 or using aluminum in a solution of sodium borate. They also mention that silver-plating kits are available for this purpose.
Sakha
Hello, I want to electroplate silver stuff with more silver to remove the tarnish, its mainly an experiment I want to do because its always easier with Twinkle tarnish remover.

It's possible to do this with Silver Cyanide in a nitric acid solution? If yes, what should be the pH? Or should I avoid using acid solution for safety reasion i.e harmful Cyanide gases?

Thanks for replies and I really want suggestions.

Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
Putting cyanides in acid doesn't sound good to me.

After posting this and googling some I realized I don't want to play with Cyanides.
You know of any other silver salt that may be useful? Would AgNO3 work?

Try a puck of aluminum in a weak solution of sodium borate.

Most recipes I remember (don't ask about details - I have seen them 30 years ago and they were in Polish) asked for baths that contained complexed cations - so I think just silver nitrate won't give a good, shiny surface.

--

Silver-smithing and jewelry manufacture is a popular hobby, and the stores that sell supplies for this stuff usually sell silver-plating kits. I'd recommend getting one of those. It's both safer and easier and probably cheaper.

(I've done it myself in fact. Even though I've got a degree in chemistry and could do it all 'from scratch'.. why bother?)

I guess I'll go the Twinkle way, didnt find any substitute for silver cyanide. Thinking the chemistry of it, shouldn't all Ag salts that are soluble works for this? I can seem to figure out why most doesn't work

Complex formation.

1. What is silver-silver electroplating?

Silver-silver electroplating is a process where a thin layer of silver is deposited onto the surface of a conductive material, such as copper or steel, using an electric current. This creates a shiny and durable silver coating on the surface of the material.

2. How does silver-silver electroplating work?

In silver-silver electroplating, the material to be plated is connected to the negative terminal of a power supply and placed in a solution containing silver ions. A silver anode is connected to the positive terminal and immersed in the same solution. When an electric current is passed through the solution, the silver ions are reduced and deposited onto the material, forming a thin layer of silver.

3. What are the benefits of silver-silver electroplating?

Silver-silver electroplating provides several benefits, including increased durability and corrosion resistance, improved electrical conductivity, and enhanced appearance. It is also a cost-effective way to achieve a silver finish on a material compared to other methods, such as solid silver plating.

4. What materials can be silver-silver electroplated?

Silver-silver electroplating can be applied to a wide range of materials, including copper, steel, brass, nickel, and stainless steel. The material must be conductive and able to withstand the plating process without being damaged.

5. Are there any limitations to silver-silver electroplating?

One limitation of silver-silver electroplating is that it can only be applied to conductive materials. Additionally, the thickness of the silver layer that can be deposited is limited, which may affect the durability and longevity of the plating. It is also not suitable for plating large or complex shapes, as the electric current can only reach certain areas of the material.