Calculating Maximum Angle for Incline w/ Stall

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the maximum angle an object can move using torque and speed graphs. The person is looking for guidance on how to incorporate stalling on an incline into their calculations and mentions the need for a clutch or torque converter to accommodate speed differences. They also refer to a website for more information on potential slope angles for a vehicle based on friction.
Jones1987
I want to calculate the maximum angle an object can move. So my example is a vehicle using two motors going up an incline. Do I use Torque = r * F * sin(angle) until the torque totals to a constant max torque value but with a speed of 0? I did think maybe I had to change values to equal the torque to 0, but if torque = 0 then from graphs, the speed is at a constant movement. And in the physical world, I want the speed to = 0 ideally so the object is in stalling (these are my assumptions).

I'm just not sure where I go next with this data. So any push in the right direction would be appreciated.

I have looked into torque / speed graphs, but I'm not 100% how to incorporate stall on an incline, so I assumed using the equation above would satisfy my question.

Engineering news on Phys.org
From the motor point of view, you will need a clutch or torque converter that will slip to accommodate the speed difference between the wheels and the motor. With an electric motor, there is no problem as it produces its maximum torque at zero speed.

For more info on the potential slope angle for a vehicle, but based on friction, see the section Theory»Longitudinal acceleration»Accelerating»Hill climbing at the bottom of the page on this http://hpwizard.com/car-performance.html" .

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the formula for calculating the maximum angle for incline with stall?

The formula for calculating the maximum angle for incline with stall is: θ = tan-1(μ), where μ is the coefficient of friction between the incline and the object.

2. What is the significance of calculating the maximum angle for incline with stall?

Calculating the maximum angle for incline with stall is important in determining the steepest angle at which an object can be placed on an incline without sliding down due to the force of gravity. This is useful in various fields such as engineering, physics, and construction.

3. How do you determine the coefficient of friction for an incline?

The coefficient of friction can be determined through experiments by gradually increasing the angle of the incline until the object starts to slide down. The angle at which this occurs can then be used to calculate the coefficient of friction using the formula mentioned in the first question.

4. Can the maximum angle for incline with stall be greater than 90 degrees?

No, the maximum angle for incline with stall cannot be greater than 90 degrees. This is because at 90 degrees, the incline becomes a vertical wall and the object will not stay in place due to the lack of friction.

5. What factors can affect the maximum angle for incline with stall?

The maximum angle for incline with stall can be affected by the coefficient of friction, the weight and size of the object, and the surface of the incline. Other factors such as air resistance and surface roughness can also play a role.