Tunneling probability and higher order terms in WKB method

In summary, the tunneling probability is given by the square modulus of the ratio of the *coefficients* of the outgoing to incoming waves. This equation is only valid when the tunneling probability is small.
FunkyDwarf
Hi All,

I have a question regarding the WKB method for computing tunnelling through barriers.

I understand the method and the ability to arrive at a solution as given in the first part (summary) of the first page here:

http://www.physics.udel.edu/~msafrono/425/Lecture 18.pdf

Is it correct to say that the tunneling probability is given by
[tex] \left| \frac{\psi(b)}{\psi(a)}\right|^2[/tex] where a is the classical turning point and b is the end of the barrier?

If so, and one had some arbitrary potential barrier, does one not need to take into account the [tex] \frac{1}{\sqrt{p}}[/tex] factors evaluated at these end points (i.e. higher order terms in the WKB approx)? Does this give the accurate prefactor to the transmission probability T?

Cheers!

Physics news on Phys.org
FunkyDwarf said:
Hi All,

I have a question regarding the WKB method for computing tunnelling through barriers.

I understand the method and the ability to arrive at a solution as given in the first part (summary) of the first page here:

http://www.physics.udel.edu/~msafrono/425/Lecture 18.pdf

Is it correct to say that the tunneling probability is given by
[tex] \left| \frac{\psi(b)}{\psi(a)}\right|^2[/tex] where a is the classical turning point and b is the end of the barrier?

If so, and one had some arbitrary potential barrier, does one not need to take into account the [tex] \frac{1}{\sqrt{p}}[/tex] factors evaluated at these end points (i.e. higher order terms in the WKB approx)? Does this give the accurate prefactor to the transmission probability T?

Cheers!

The tunneling probability is given by the square modulus of the ratio of the *coefficients* of the outgoing to incoming waves, not the ratio of the wavefunction evaluated at the classical turning points. Does that answer the rest of your question? Also, that equation for T is an approximation that is only valid when the tunneling probability is small. The full expression is:

[tex]T=\frac{e^{-2\gamma}}{|1+\frac{1}{4}e^{-2\gamma}|^2}[/tex]

So it reduces to [itex]T=e^{-2\gamma}[/itex] when T << 1.

Well in my case I have a standing wave so I have waves with equal magnitudes in both directions, but anyway isn't it so that the sqrt momentum pre-factor would contribute to the amplitudes in both regions? Or is it instead folded into the phase by moving it to the exponent (in which case the phase is more complicated)? In the real standing wave case the reflected wave has the same amplitude as the incoming, and so one cannot deduce the transmission coefficient from that, so all you can do is consider relative amplitudes in Region I compared to Region III right? (region II being the barrier part I guess)

Cheers for your help!

EDIT: Nm figured it out! Taking psi* psi gets rid of the radial dependence and leaves you with the amplitude, hurr! =) Cheers dude!

Last edited:

1. What is quantum tunnelling decay time?

Quantum tunnelling decay time is the amount of time it takes for a particle to escape from a potential well, or barrier, through quantum tunnelling. This phenomenon occurs when a particle has a lower energy state on one side of the barrier, but is still able to pass through the barrier and reach a higher energy state on the other side.

2. How is quantum tunnelling decay time measured?

Quantum tunnelling decay time is typically measured using a technique called time-resolved spectroscopy, which involves sending a beam of particles through a barrier and measuring the time it takes for them to pass through. This measurement is then used to calculate the decay time.

3. What factors affect quantum tunnelling decay time?

The main factors that affect quantum tunnelling decay time are the height and width of the barrier, as well as the energy of the particle. A higher barrier or a wider barrier will result in a longer decay time, while a lower energy particle will have a shorter decay time.

4. How is quantum tunnelling decay time related to quantum mechanics?

Quantum tunnelling decay time is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics, as it demonstrates the probabilistic nature of particles and their ability to exist in multiple energy states simultaneously. It also highlights the concept of wave-particle duality, where particles can exhibit both particle-like and wave-like behaviors.

5. What are the practical applications of understanding quantum tunnelling decay time?

Understanding quantum tunnelling decay time is essential in various fields, such as quantum computing, nuclear physics, and materials science. It also has practical applications in technologies such as scanning tunneling microscopy and tunneling diodes. Additionally, studying quantum tunnelling can help scientists better understand the behavior of subatomic particles and the fundamental laws of the universe.