Solving Infinite Series Problem with L'Hopital's Rule

In summary, the conversation discusses using L'Hopital's rule to solve a problem involving an infinite series. The solution manual shows the use of a property to simplify the derivative in the denominator, while the person asking for help struggles to understand this step. They eventually figure it out and clarify the difference between sequences and series.
kdinser
Today we started on infinite series, I'm getting the material just fine and able to do most of the problems, but one is giving me problems.

[tex]\lim_{n\to{a}} 2n/\sqrt{n^2+1}[/tex]

I recognized that [tex]\infty/\infty[/tex] so I can use L'Hopital's rule. So taking the derivative of the numerator and denominator I get.

[tex]\frac{d}{dn} 2n = 2[/tex]
and
[tex]\frac{d}{dn} \sqrt{n^2+1} = \frac{n}{\sqrt{n^2+1}}[/tex]

Somehow the solutions manual is getting
[tex]2/\sqrt{1+(1/n^2)}[/tex]

and a final answer of 2.

I can't see how they turned what I get for the derivative in the denominator into what they use. L'Hopital's rule twice would get rid of the n on top and put a 2 there, but that wouldn't change the square root.

thanks for any help

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Simply divide the numerator and the denominator by n. You get:
[tex]\frac{2n}{\sqrt{n^2+1}}=\frac{2}{\sqrt{1+1/n^2}}[/tex]
I'd advise against using l'hospitals rule. Although it may be valid to use in some cases, you generally have to show it actually is.
In this case, n is restricted to integer values so the derivative doesn't exist.

Thanks for the help,

Could you go through a little of the algebra in the denominator, it's still not making sense to me how it's actually done. What property allows you to divide the radical by n and come up with that?

Doh, nevermind, it popped into my head as I was taking a shower. Thanks again.

By the way, in mathematics, there is a technical difference between "sequences" and "series". What you are dealing with here are "series", not "sequences".

HallsofIvy said:
By the way, in mathematics, there is a technical difference between "sequences" and "series". What you are dealing with here are "series", not "sequences".
Haha, not the other way around? :tongue2:
Don't confuse them indeed. :wink:

1. What is L'Hopital's Rule and how does it apply to infinite series problems?

L'Hopital's Rule is a mathematical theorem that states when the limit of an indeterminate form (such as 0/0 or ∞/∞) can be rewritten as the ratio of two functions, the limit of the original function can be found by taking the limit of the ratio of the derivatives of the two functions. This rule can be applied to infinite series problems by using the derivatives of the terms in the series to evaluate the limit of the series.

2. Can L'Hopital's Rule be used to solve any infinite series problem?

No, L'Hopital's Rule can only be used when the limit of an indeterminate form can be rewritten as the ratio of two functions. It is important to first check if the series can be simplified or rewritten before applying L'Hopital's Rule.

3. What are the steps for using L'Hopital's Rule to solve an infinite series problem?

The steps for using L'Hopital's Rule to solve an infinite series problem are as follows:1. Simplify or rewrite the series to see if it can be written as the ratio of two functions.2. Take the derivative of both the numerator and denominator of the series.3. Evaluate the limit using the derivatives.4. Repeat this process until the limit can be determined.

4. Are there any limitations or precautions when using L'Hopital's Rule for infinite series problems?

Yes, there are a few limitations and precautions to keep in mind when using L'Hopital's Rule for infinite series problems. Firstly, the series must be able to be rewritten as the ratio of two functions. Additionally, the series must approach an indeterminate form (0/0 or ∞/∞) in order for L'Hopital's Rule to be applicable. It is also important to check for any discontinuities or singularities in the series before applying L'Hopital's Rule.

5. Can L'Hopital's Rule be used for series with multiple variables?

Yes, L'Hopital's Rule can be used for series with multiple variables. However, the derivatives must be taken with respect to the variable that the series is approaching. It is also important to consider the relationship between the variables when evaluating the limit.