Refining Alkenes: Separating Ethylene & Monomer Definition

• Thread starter Vonderbach
  • Start date
In summary: Sources such as wikipedia claim that a monomer "may be" an atom or a molecule. That seems very vague and contradictory. How can a monomer (meaning single part) be used to describe a molecule (multiple atoms?)
Vonderbach
Hello all. I am not a student of science, in fact I'm relatively ignorant when it comes to most sciences in general. However, as a matter of personal interest, I have endeavored to understand a few things as they relate to my industry and some of the products that I sell.

At the moment, I am writing a technical article (from the layman's point of view) on heat shrinkable polyolefin tubing. I have interviewed a couple of people in the industry and been privy to the basics from the pellet stage forward. But where I lack clarity is in the processes prior to pelleting the polyolefin product for extrusion.

I have just two questions for the moment, but I'm sure they will lead to more if anyone is interested in discussing this with an ignorant plebeian. ;)

•By what process do you separate post-cracked ethylene from the accompanying propene and other trace compounds?

•Is a monomer an atom or a molecule? Sources such as wikipedia claim that a monomer "may be" an atom or a molecule. That seems very vague and contradictory. How can a monomer (meaning single part) be used to describe a molecule (multiple atoms?)

Thank you in advance for any input you might offer. If there is a substantial contribution, I would gladly credit you in my paper. It won't be anything glamorous, but I suspect it will be viewed by more than a few thousand people over the course of a few years.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Vonderbach said:
By what process do you separate post-cracked ethylene from the accompanying propene and other trace compounds?

Fractional Distillation may be possible.

Vonderbach said:
Is a monomer an atom or a molecule? Sources such as wikipedia claim that a monomer "may be" an atom or a molecule. That seems very vague and contradictory. How can a monomer (meaning single part) be used to describe a molecule (multiple atoms?)

Monomers can be both a single atom or a long chain of molecules. It is just a repeating unit in a long chain of a polymer.

For example, polyethene. We have

PEform.gif

In this case, (Edit by Borek: too large image deleted, it was just the most right part of the above image) is the monomer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Perhaps for the OP who struggles with chemistry and terminology, we should say the thing on the very left is the monomer, and the thing on the very right in brackets is called the monomer residue - its different from the monomer of course because the monomer has reacted - in this case the double bonds have opened and attached to other carbons. (OK?)

1. What is the purpose of refining alkenes?

The purpose of refining alkenes is to separate ethylene from other impurities and to create a pure form of the monomer. This is important for producing high-quality plastics and other products made from ethylene.

2. How are alkenes separated in the refining process?

Alkenes are typically separated through a process called fractional distillation. This involves heating the mixture of alkenes and then allowing them to cool and condense at different temperatures, based on their boiling points.

3. What is the definition of a monomer?

A monomer is a molecule that can bind to other identical molecules to form a polymer. In the case of refining alkenes, ethylene is the monomer that is used to create various types of plastics.

4. Can alkenes be refined from natural sources?

Yes, alkenes can be refined from natural sources, such as crude oil or natural gas. These sources contain various hydrocarbons, including ethylene, which can be separated through the refining process.

5. Are there any environmental concerns with refining alkenes?

The refining process for alkenes can produce waste and emissions that can be harmful to the environment. However, many refineries have implemented technologies to reduce these impacts and make the process more environmentally friendly.