How can I resolve assembly recognition issues in ANSYS Workbench 12?

In summary, the conversation discusses issues with importing an assembly of parts from Catia to ANSYS for static analysis. The first problem is that ANSYS does not recognize some of the parts when they are imported as "igs" files. The second problem is that when attempting to create the missing parts in ANSYS, the software automatically merges all contact surfaces together. The solution may be to check the Geometry importing option in workbench and obtain a CAD Interface License for Catia. Alternatively, the model could be created as a beam and shell model in ANSYS Traditional to avoid any geometry issues.
karimi67
hi
there is an assembly of parts which i want to do static analyse on. i make the parts in cataia and import them as ''igs'' into workbench.problem 1: there are near 7 parts in my assembly which when gets into ansys , ansys doesn't recognize some of them and doesn't show them but it recognize the other parts as solids1,2,3... what can i do if i want the whole assembly in ansys ?
problem 2: instead of importing the whole , after importing some of the parts i tried to make the other parts by its geometry feature but after making the part and pressing generate ansys automatically turns the whole assembly as one parts , i mean it doesn't know the contact sufaces anymore , it automatically merge the whole contact surfaces together . what can i do?> this are the assembly pls take a lokk
untitled.jpg

Engineering news on Phys.org
check your Geometry importing option in workbench, make sure that u r checked correct importing option. me too had the same problem, sometime it shows more surface in the assembly.

IGS format is always a 50/50 gamble. In order to do this correctly you need a CAD Interface License for Catia.

In looking at the model, I am assuming that it has no internal parts and therefore, could have been done as a simple beam and shell model in ANSYS Traditional and you would have no problems with geometry since you could have created it all in ANSYS.

1. What is Ansys Workbench 12?

Ansys Workbench 12 is a computer-aided engineering software that allows engineers and scientists to perform simulations and analyses on various physical phenomena. It is commonly used in industries such as aerospace, automotive, and manufacturing to design and optimize products.

2. What types of problems can be solved using Ansys Workbench 12?

Ansys Workbench 12 can solve a wide range of engineering problems including structural analysis, thermal analysis, fluid flow analysis, electromagnetic analysis, and multiphysics analysis. It can also handle complex and nonlinear problems with its advanced meshing and solver capabilities.

3. How does Ansys Workbench 12 compare to other engineering software?

Ansys Workbench 12 is one of the most comprehensive and widely used engineering software in the market. It offers a user-friendly interface, powerful simulation capabilities, and a vast library of material properties and element formulations. It also has the ability to integrate with other Ansys products for more advanced simulations.

4. Can Ansys Workbench 12 be used for academic purposes?

Yes, Ansys Workbench 12 has a special version called Ansys Academic that is designed specifically for academic use. It offers the same features as the commercial version but at a lower cost for students and educators. It is also widely used in universities and research institutions for educational and research purposes.

5. How can I learn to use Ansys Workbench 12?

Ansys offers training courses and tutorials for users to learn how to use Ansys Workbench 12 effectively. There are also many online resources, such as YouTube tutorials, that provide step-by-step instructions and tips for using the software. Additionally, practicing and experimenting with different simulations is the best way to improve proficiency with Ansys Workbench 12.