What are the conclusions you can make from this graph?

• Thread starter Count Duckula
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Graph
In summary, the conversation is about a simple graph that shows the relationship between the length of a wire and its resistance. The person is asking for help in answering questions about the graph, specifically about the conclusion that can be made and the explanation for it. They also request for a template or simple points to help them explain in the future. Additionally, there is a discussion about extending the line and finding the gradient of the graph to determine if it should pass through (0,0).
Count Duckula

Homework Statement

Hi all I have this simple graph that is about how the length of a wire affects it's resistance. I usually get homework questions asking me, what conclusion can you make from you investigation (using the graph) and explain why you made this conclusion. The only problem is that I find it difficult to put things into words.

Here is one of the graphs (sorry I don't have a scanner)
DSC_0134.jpg

If you could just give me some simple answers to these questions that will help to be able to explains in my own in the future, kind of like a template that would be great

Homework Equations

1.What conclusion can you make about a link between the length of a wire and it's resistance?

2.Use the graph to explain why you made this conclusion?

If you could just make two simple points to each question that would be great.

many thanks,
nate. :)

Physics news on Phys.org
First of all...extend the line so that it meets the axes.
If a straight line passes through (0,0) then you can say that y is directly proportional to x
If the line does not pass through (0,0) then the right thing to say is that y increases uniformely with x, or equal increases in x result in equal increases in y
Find the gradient of the graph... what will that tell you?
Should your graph pass through (0,0)? If it should, and it does not, can you explain it...

1. What is the purpose of the graph?

The purpose of the graph is to visually represent data in order to identify patterns and trends.

2. How was the data collected for this graph?

The data for this graph was collected through a scientific study or experiment. The specific methods used to collect the data will vary depending on the research question and field of study.

3. What do the different colors or symbols on the graph represent?

The colors or symbols on the graph represent different variables or categories being compared. This allows for easier interpretation and analysis of the data.

4. How can I interpret the data on the graph?

To interpret the data on the graph, you need to look at the axes to see what is being measured and then analyze the relationship between the variables. This can include looking at the direction, shape, and magnitude of the data points.

5. What conclusions can be drawn from this graph?

The conclusions that can be drawn from this graph will depend on the data and the research question. However, some common conclusions may include identifying trends, patterns, or relationships between variables, and making predictions or generalizations based on the data.