2nd year math major with a lackluster performance in Physics I & II

In summary, the speaker is in their last semester at community college and expects to receive A's in most courses, except for Physics II. They have concerns about their grade, as the instructor is new and their test scores tend to be lower but are curved to a passing grade. The instructor claims the course covers a wide range of material and even physics majors struggle with it. The speaker, a math major, feels they have wasted their time and may have missed opportunities for future physics applications. However, they are encouraged to take more advanced courses to gain a better understanding of physics."
triceryclops
I'm just wrapping up my last semester at community college before heading to university, and while I'm likely to get A's in Calc 3, O.D.E. and Prob/Stats, this will not be the case in Physics II. I had the same instructor for both courses, each time was his first time teaching that course (he just recently obtained his master's).

I had a B in Physics I and will likely end up with a B in Physics II, but I don't feel like this accurately reflects my knowledge of the material. Firstly, every test has a huge curve, (halve your score, add 50). My raw score tends to be anywhere between an F and a B, but I always end with at least a C.

I've let the instructor know about my concerns and he's always had encouraging words, but I don't know if he's blowing smoke. He says it's a crash course in Mechanics, Waves, Electromagnetism, Thermodynamics, Optics and that most people miss a significant amount of material on their way through, including physics majors, but I'm not convinced. Other instructors have told me that his tests were way too difficult. Again, not convinced.

I know that as a math major, I will probably never have to take a physics course ever again in my life. But I feel like I wasted two whole semesters with this and I got a fraudulent grade, and that if I want to do anything with physics applications with a B.S. or higher, I've already missed that opportunity.

Anybody here ever been in a similar situation?

Physics news on Phys.org
Intro Physics is a crash course where you have to memorize formulas that work under specific conditions while at the same gaining a rough idea of how physics works. Later in upper level courses they start from first principles and derive these special case formulas and so you really begin to understand the physics.

Prof Richard Mueller has a book and a course on Physics entitled Physics for Future Presidents that kind of sums up Introductory Physics in a nutshell:

http://muller.lbl.gov/teaching/physics10/pffp.html

So don't despair take some more advanced courses if you're interested in it like CM, EM, and QM. The math will be much heavier and perhaps more interesting.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How can I improve my performance in Physics I and II as a 2nd year Math major?

There are a few ways you can improve your performance in these physics courses. First, make sure you attend all lectures and take thorough notes. It can also be helpful to form study groups with classmates and work on practice problems together. Additionally, seek out extra help from your professor or a tutor if you are struggling with specific concepts. Finally, make sure you allocate enough time to studying and reviewing material outside of class.

2. Will my lackluster performance in Physics I and II negatively affect my future as a math major?

While a strong understanding of physics can be helpful in some areas of math, it is not necessary for success in your math major. As long as you are able to meet the requirements and perform well in your math courses, your performance in physics should not greatly impact your future as a math major.

3. Should I retake Physics I and II to improve my grades?

If you are planning on pursuing a career or graduate studies in a field that heavily relies on physics, it may be beneficial to retake these courses to improve your understanding and grades. However, if you do not plan on using physics in your future studies or career, it may not be necessary to retake the courses. Consider speaking with your academic advisor for personalized advice.

4. How can I balance my coursework as a 2nd year math major and improve my performance in Physics I and II?

It can be challenging to balance your coursework as a math major, but it is important to prioritize your time and focus on important concepts in all of your courses. Make sure you have a solid understanding of fundamental math concepts, as they can often overlap with physics principles. You may also want to consider taking a lighter course load or seeking out time management strategies to help balance your workload.

5. Are there any resources available to help me improve my performance in Physics I and II?

Yes, there are many resources available to help you improve your performance in physics. Your professor may offer office hours or review sessions, and your university may have a tutoring center or peer tutoring program specifically for physics. Additionally, there are many online resources such as practice problems, lecture videos, and study guides that can supplement your learning. Don't be afraid to seek out help and use these resources to improve your understanding and grades in physics.