Summer 2013 Math and Science REU Thread

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of applying for REU programs, with participants sharing the programs they are applying to and discussing the possibility of grouping together related subjects in one thread. They also discuss their experiences with the application process and ask questions about recommendations and whether being an older student may be considered an underrepresented group. Participants also share their acceptance and rejection from programs, and discuss the workload and the potential of taking online courses while participating in an REU.
hsetennis said:
As an incoming freshman, I have almost no chance at most (Edit: Math) REU's, so I'm applying to the whopping 21 sites where I'm eligible to apply

IU
San Diego State
CSUSB
CSU Fresno
RHIT
Boise State
Kansas State
Worchester PolytechnicInstitute
U Maryland
Central Mich
Grand ValleyState
Hope
MSU
N. CarolinaState U.
RIT
SUNY-PostdamClarkson
UW Stout
James Madison
TSU San Marcos
Texas AM
East Tennessee State

Pros of my application: Calc I-IV, Linear, Abstract, Real, Complex, ODE, and research experience, 1 rec from a research advisor
Cons: No significant competitions, "no college experience!", 1 rec from a high school math teacher

I'd say you have a pretty good chance. No idea how you qualify as a Freshman with those courses! That's as many as me and I'm considered a junior.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think hsetennis is a high school senior. :O Also, that is a huge number of REUs. :O

Stengah said:
Well you are certainly qualified, let's hope they don't overlook the fact that you are young. What matters a lot in these is also your minority status and what type of school you go to, i.e. small liberal arts vs. big research university.

There is no way I would be considered a minority :(

modnarandom said:
I think hsetennis is a high school senior. :O Also, that is a huge number of REUs. :O

Right, I'll be an "incoming" freshman during the REU session. If I have a low chance as is, increasing the sample size would increase my odds of getting into at least one REU, which is really all that I'm praying for.

Wow. I understand, but thought it would have been really stressful. I also think that this doesn't leave too much time for each application. Another thing is that this contributes to the ridiculously large number of applications for a tiny number of spots. It is really nice to be able to do this before college, but I just thought that this is too stressful. I thought I wouldn't get in anywhere (planned to apply to 8) and then just decided to attend one that I was accepted to (was my top choice) as soon as I got an offer. So, it's pretty random and you shouldn't stress too much about it. You still have a lot of time since you're still in high school.

Last edited:
I got emailed back by one of the SMALL faculty members yesterday asking me to email him some idea on one of the projects, and to call him to talk about it. Is this normal/any advice? Pretty nervous about this. Pouring through references they provided all night. Sleep time.

I got emailed back by one of the SMALL faculty members yesterday asking me to email him some idea on one of the projects, and to call him to talk about it. Is this normal/any advice? Pretty nervous about this. Pouring through references they provided all night. Sleep time.

Yes this is fine. This is my first REU this summer and I have contacted my prof about the project. Actually, I think it is encouraged. I don't think they expect you to be a master of the project before you even get started, so relax.

dh363 said:

I also got an e-mail about being on the "short list" for one of the SMALL projects. But I'm kind of confused. The professor sent about 10 technical papers for us to read, as well as a list of questions for each paper... but he says it's "optional." Is anyone else in this boat? How are you approaching it? This is something I would normally want to devote a lot of time to, but he said he wants our responses by Sunday evening. Is this normal?

Mine was a lot more vague. Just asked to talk to him about my "ideas.". Makes it tough to prepare for. A pretty good way to get a sense of what mathematical level I naturally think at I guess. I'm looking through references provided on the page.

Last edited:
dh363 said:
Mine was a lot more vague. Just asked to talk to him about my "ideas.". Makes it tough to prepare for. A pretty good way to get a sense of what mathematical level I naturally think at I guess. I'm looking through references provided on the page.

Are you up for the Probability and Number Theory project, or a different one?

Declined by Duluth...

Do you guys think I would have a decent chance at an engineering REU with relatively little physics course completion (physics I and II, thermodynamics)? I have mathematics completed up to and including differential equations, chemistry I and II, little research at a small university, and a 3.9 GPA. Any comments would be appreciated!

MechE2015 said:
Do you guys think I would have a decent chance at an engineering REU with relatively little physics course completion (physics I and II, thermodynamics)? I have mathematics completed up to and including differential equations, chemistry I and II, little research at a small university, and a 3.9 GPA. Any comments would be appreciated!

I am doing an engineering REU this summer and I have almost your background exactly (math major). I will have phys 1, 2, thermo, and radiation phys completed before the REU. Although I do feel a little bit unprepared.

I'm really hoping for one this summer, I applied for a handful so I'm crossing my fingers. However, like you said, I would be nervous/feel unprepared, but I also think a lot of it is learn-as-you-go as well.

MechE2015 said:

Assuming you are either a freshman or sophomore I would say it is pretty unlikely to get accepted. Your resume is great, but with the incredible amount of people applying to so few spots it is rare for non-juniors to get accepted.

Other factors that could help or hurt you.
1. If you are either a minority or a women you have a much greater chance of getting accepted.
2. Being from a small university helps your case. Most programs like to accept students from small schools that offer very little research opportunities.

Last year, as a sophomore, I had a very similar resume to yours now except I had research experience and attended a large state school with plenty of opportunities. I applied to 13 and didn't get accepted anywhere. It's sort of a crap shoot and maybe you'll have better chances than I did since you are coming from a small school. However, don't be too disappointed if you are denied everywhere. You always have next year and just remember that getting accepted to REU programs is significantly harder than getting accepted to grad programs.

ktb said:
Assuming you are either a freshman or sophomore I would say it is pretty unlikely to get accepted. Your resume is great, but with the incredible amount of people applying to so few spots it is rare for non-juniors to get accepted.

Other factors that could help or hurt you.
1. If you are either a minority or a women you have a much greater chance of getting accepted.
2. Being from a small university helps your case. Most programs like to accept students from small schools that offer very little research opportunities.

Last year, as a sophomore, I had a very similar resume to yours now except I had research experience and attended a large state school with plenty of opportunities. I applied to 13 and didn't get accepted anywhere. It's sort of a crap shoot and maybe you'll have better chances than I did since you are coming from a small school. However, don't be too disappointed if you are denied everywhere. You always have next year and just remember that getting accepted to REU programs is significantly harder than getting accepted to grad programs.

Ooops I read and responded to your post assuming you were applying to physics REUs. I can't speak for engineering REUs, but I'm sure they're very competitive as well...

ktb said:
just remember that getting accepted to REU programs is significantly harder than getting accepted to grad programs.

Really? Is that your intuition or do you know of some statistics that indicate this? I would be really interested in finding out more info.

Hercuflea said:
Really? Is that your intuition or do you know of some statistics that indicate this? I would be really interested in finding out more info.

There are statistics. Last year UC Davis reported getting over 500 applications for about 10 spots. Even unknown schools get about 100 applications for 10 spots or less.

ktb said:
Ooops I read and responded to your post assuming you were applying to physics REUs. I can't speak for engineering REUs, but I'm sure they're very competitive as well...

While competitive, I don't think engineering REU's are as competitive as those for physics (or even biology for that matter). Nearly every physics major plans on going to grad school, where as most engineering majors will be seeking internships over the summer. Pre-med and physics research programs are probably notably more competitive than all others.

Last edited:
Got an offer from UNC Greensboro a few days ago for algorithmic combinatorics on words. I will likely accept, so let me know if you're going. I applied to 12 places, but it looks like I'll be withdrawing my application for 11 of them soon.

usnavi13 said:
Are you up for the Probability and Number Theory project, or a different one?
Nah, Geometry. Does anyone have any idea how many people make this short-list type thing?

dh363 said:
Nah, Geometry. Does anyone have any idea how many people make this short-list type thing?

I know there are 30 on the short list for Probability and Number Theory. It's probably the same for the other projects. And the prof for the project said he can take 9 of us.

Stengah said:
There are statistics. Last year UC Davis reported getting over 500 applications for about 10 spots. Even unknown schools get about 100 applications for 10 spots or less.

I've kind of heard the opposite - that often not many people apply at all, due to the restrictions/deadlines/time constraints, etc. This is not easy to do while you are taking classes and studying and such. At least that's my experience.

I'm trying to motivate people in my math club to all sign up for REUs so that at least one of us gets into something, and I'm having a hard time.

I guess we would need more global statistics to know for sure.

-Dave K

dkotschessaa said:
I've kind of heard the opposite - that often not many people apply at all, due to the restrictions/deadlines/time constraints, etc. This is not easy to do while you are taking classes and studying and such. At least that's my experience.

I'm trying to motivate people in my math club to all sign up for REUs so that at least one of us gets into something, and I'm having a hard time.

I guess we would need more global statistics to know for sure.

-Dave K

Here are some of the ones I've heard of. All are last years. The program directors told me directly for the first two.

1. RIT Imaging REU had 240 applicants for 6 spots (I think these 6 were the first round of offers, though, there might have been more)
2. UMass Amherst Computer Science had 140 applicants for 9 spots, but they were able to fund an additional 8 or 9 through outside support, so there were actually a lot of opportunities there.

And in addition,

3. Bard College math now has a twitter account where they're letting us know how many applicants there are. They have 190 a week before the deadline, for 10 spots.
4. UPenn GRASP last year had over 80 for 10 spots, but that was their first year, so the number of applicants will likely increase.

James LeBron said:
Here are some of the ones I've heard of. All are last years. The program directors told me directly for the first two.

1. RIT Imaging REU had 240 applicants for 6 spots (I think these 6 were the first round of offers, though, there might have been more)
2. UMass Amherst Computer Science had 140 applicants for 9 spots, but they were able to fund an additional 8 or 9 through outside support, so there were actually a lot of opportunities there.

And in addition,

3. Bard College math now has a twitter account where they're letting us know how many applicants there are. They have 190 a week before the deadline, for 10 spots.
4. UPenn GRASP last year had over 80 for 10 spots, but that was their first year, so the number of applicants will likely increase.

For the RIT imaging REU did you also get an email saying you were "ranked highly" amongst the 240 applicants if you didn't get in? I got one such email (never got in that year), but now I'm not sure whether they just sent that to everyone to be nice.

I was among those who were accepted into RIT imaging, so i can't really answer your question.

dkotschessaa said:

Yeah I don't know where you heard that, but I don't think it is even close to being true. It's not difficult to get the applications done over winter break. It's not even difficult to get them done while taking classes. Maybe some people don't apply because they are lazy, but it's not like those kind of people would be getting accepted anyways.

Here are some more statistics from last year:
Montana State - 30 applicants per spot
Kansas State - over 160 applicants for unspecified number of spots
Columbia - over 300 applications for 10 spots
U Michigan (CERN) - over 250 applications for unspecified number of spots

And this year:
Nothern Arizona University (astronomy) - over 160 applicants for about 8 spots

Anyone hear anything from NC State math? They said they started to review applications a while ago

stardawg said:
Anyone hear anything from NC State math? They said they started to review applications a while ago

I applied there, have not heard anything as of yet. I, personally, would not expect an offer though; I'm not a mathematics major.

I got an email from McDonald observatory (UTA) - they didn't get funding for their REU and are in the process of emailing the applicants the news. They just found this out last Thursday (2/7/13)

stardawg said:

I think they said that they would start giving offers a few days after the due date.

I just finished my call this afternoon and was accepted to the Williams REU for Geometry just now! Other groups are on completely different schedules I'm pretty sure. It's done individually by the faculty mentors, and I don't even know the way the Geometry group is accepting people so don't get worried if you haven't heard back yet!

I normally am not one to post success stories, as I like to stay humble, but I'm posting this here just to let you guys know, that without this community, I would not be where I am today. Idk how many people here know me, but when I first started posting here I was a business school student disillusioned about my motivations in life. I had always liked mathematics throughout high school and was motivated to start again as a sophomore after realizing how empty I felt doing finance work (I was actually initially interested in "physics." One of the typical kids interested in physics from popular science books. Y'all got me out of that phase. Dabbling in proofs and open courseware made me realize that math was really what I wanted to do).

I started taking huge math courseloads every semester, as well as more courses over the summer, and independent studies with professors. All of my course choices, self studying, etc. were guided by this community, especially mathwonk, who gave me a lot of very personal advice (thank you for putting up with all of my annoying PMs). I had read through the whole "who wants to be a mathematician thread," and it was only after learning from your experiences that I was able to figure out how to best position myself for an REU this summer. This was my top choice in REUs and I have already sent Dr. Morgan an acceptance. Thank you all so much for helping me get here. I really was clueless about mathematics before finding this forum, and I wish I was capable of expressing over the internet just how sincere this thank you is. You guys have changed my life.

DH

P.S. For future applicants: I think one thing my situation really makes clear is the importance of good letters of recommendation. I come from a school not known that much for math but pushed really hard to do as much as I could in math, and so the professors I got close with at my school really pushed for me (one wrote tailored letters of recommendation for different programs). I think this ended up helping my application more than anything.

Last edited:
Just heard from Nebraska that they will not be having their optics REU.

i'm interested in nanotech / solid state stuff mostly.

Applied to:

Center of Integrated Nanomechanical Systems REU
Center for Energy Efficient Electronics Science REU
National Nanotechnology Infrastructure Network REU
CIAN Integrated Optics for Undergraduates REU
Colorado Renewable Energy Materials Research Science and Engineering Center REU
Hooked On Photonics REU
Princeton Center for Complex Materials REU
MassNanoTech SURE
UCSB Materials Research Lab Research Internships in Science and Engineering
Summer Research Early Identification Program

Haven't heard back from anywhere yet.

I'm only applying to the Columbia Nevis one. Hopefully I'll have better luck than last year ;).

PhysicsGente said:
I'm only applying to the Columbia Nevis one. Hopefully I'll have better luck than last year ;).

Only one? You must be confident.

<h2>1. What is an REU?</h2><p>An REU, or Research Experience for Undergraduates, is a program funded by the National Science Foundation that provides undergraduate students with the opportunity to participate in hands-on research projects in math and science fields.</p><h2>2. Who is eligible to apply for an REU?</h2><p>Undergraduate students who are majoring in a math or science discipline and have completed at least one year of coursework are eligible to apply for REU programs. Some programs may have additional requirements, such as a minimum GPA or specific courses completed.</p><h2>3. How can I find REU programs for the summer of 2013?</h2><p>There are several ways to find REU programs for the summer of 2013. You can search online on websites such as the National Science Foundation's REU program directory or the American Mathematical Society's list of REU sites. You can also ask your professors or academic advisors for recommendations.</p><h2>4. What types of research projects are typically offered in REU programs?</h2><p>REU programs cover a wide range of topics in math and science fields, including biology, chemistry, physics, mathematics, computer science, and engineering. The specific research projects offered will vary depending on the program, but they often involve cutting-edge research and hands-on experiences.</p><h2>5. Is it necessary to have prior research experience to participate in an REU program?</h2><p>No, prior research experience is not necessary to participate in an REU program. These programs are designed for undergraduate students who are interested in gaining research experience and may not have had previous opportunities to do so. However, having some background knowledge in the field of the program you are applying to can be helpful.</p>

1. What is an REU?

An REU, or Research Experience for Undergraduates, is a program funded by the National Science Foundation that provides undergraduate students with the opportunity to participate in hands-on research projects in math and science fields.

2. Who is eligible to apply for an REU?

Undergraduate students who are majoring in a math or science discipline and have completed at least one year of coursework are eligible to apply for REU programs. Some programs may have additional requirements, such as a minimum GPA or specific courses completed.

3. How can I find REU programs for the summer of 2013?

There are several ways to find REU programs for the summer of 2013. You can search online on websites such as the National Science Foundation's REU program directory or the American Mathematical Society's list of REU sites. You can also ask your professors or academic advisors for recommendations.

4. What types of research projects are typically offered in REU programs?

REU programs cover a wide range of topics in math and science fields, including biology, chemistry, physics, mathematics, computer science, and engineering. The specific research projects offered will vary depending on the program, but they often involve cutting-edge research and hands-on experiences.

5. Is it necessary to have prior research experience to participate in an REU program?

No, prior research experience is not necessary to participate in an REU program. These programs are designed for undergraduate students who are interested in gaining research experience and may not have had previous opportunities to do so. However, having some background knowledge in the field of the program you are applying to can be helpful.