Tea, pro-plus, or amphetamines?

• Thread starter brewnog
  • Start date
In summary, a student is feeling overwhelmed with their dissertation project and other assignments that need to be completed in four weeks. They are seeking advice on how to enhance their productivity and concentration, while also minimizing their need for sleep. Suggestions include working efficiently, getting proper meals, and taking small breaks when needed. They also contemplate using amphetamines, but ultimately decide against it. The student plans to take a break with their significant other before tackling their workload with renewed motivation. Other suggestions include drinking Ginko Biloba tea for improved memory.
brewnog
Science Advisor
Gold Member
My dissertation project ballsed up today! I'd been taking readings all day, and was packing up to go home when I realized that a critical loudspeaker was broken, and having no idea when it broke I'm going to have to do it all again! Add to that 2 long lab reports on computational fluid dynamics, an essay on recent applications of composites, a short report on FEA which I'm just not understanding, a horrific elasticity paper, the entire write-up of my dissertation, and a year's worth of revision! All to be completed within four weeks of today! Arghhh!

So, the question remains. What is the best way of enhancing my performance, concentration and motivation, whilst diminishing my need for sleep of any kind? Currently my plan involves "sacking it off", getting drunk and playing Gran Turismo 4, but I don't think I can sustain that for much longer. Suggestions are welcome!

Physics news on Phys.org
None of the above. You'll be more productive if you get your sleep and then work very efficiently during your waking hours (no wasting time). Also, get proper meals. Too often, when you're pressed to the wire with deadlines, it's tempting to skip meals or start getting take-out or other fast food, thus depriving yourself of good nutrition when you really need it.

Remember, you don't need to wait for your project to be done to start writing parts of it. The introduction and methods can be written, as can an outline for your results in which you'll insert the actual results when you're done. Then all you'll need to finish off is the discussion of your results. This is what I mean by working efficiently. When you get tired of that, instead of taking a TV break or a PF break, go work on one of those other things on the list. At least you know that in 4 weeks, it will all be done and you can take the much needed break then.

I've already got about 30 pages of my project written! However, that was all done in a frenzy of enthusiasm and productivity, mostly under the influence of a good cup of tea.

No more PF breaks? Are you mad woman?

Hi Brewnog;
Thought you could escape me by switching threads, huh? I don't know what a PF break is, but reading what you're going through almost makes me glad that I didn't finish high school. Moonbear has some awesome advice there. I found in the old days when I routinely stayed up for a couple of days straight that caffeine can be counter-productive. If you get jittery, it's hard to concentrate. Good solid nutrition helps immensely. Fish works well, with a nice mix of carbs to keep short-term energy up. A really great addition if you can't eat properly is stuff that's call Ensure or Boost over here. Don't know what the UK equivalent is. It was originally for tube-feeding hospital patients, then they made it taste like milkshakes and put it on the open market. It's essentially a meal in a can. Everything including trace minerals is included. A 235 ml can of Ensure Plus contains 355 calories. It would take a week to list the ingredients. Never tried it with vodka, but it tastes good by itself. Gotta go watch TV now.

If you smoke some pure crystal meth, it actually won't be counterproductive if you only need to be awake and alert for a couple of days or so. I'd estimate that it's safe (assuming what you smoke is pure) to remain awake that way for about 5 days max, and that's pushing it. You'll sleep for a week when you come down, though, so don't plan on getting anything done at that point. In the long run, you don't really gain any additional waking hours.

I wasn't really contemplating the amphetamine route. Apart from not really knowing where to get any from, I would probably find myself psychologically addicted within a few days, and I'm far too sensible to let that happen. However, I've just got back from 'a few quiet pints' with some ex-coursemates (they failed) and productivity seems to be subsiding.

I'm taking my wench away for a few days next week, I reckon I'll just hit the lab hard after that. Pressure always seems to be the best incentive!

brewnog said:
I wasn't really contemplating the amphetamine route. Apart from not really knowing where to get any from, I would probably find myself psychologically addicted within a few days, and I'm far too sensible to let that happen. However, I've just got back from 'a few quiet pints' with some ex-coursemates (they failed) and productivity seems to be subsiding.

I'm taking my wench away for a few days next week, I reckon I'll just hit the lab hard after that. Pressure always seems to be the best incentive!
Yeah, let's forget the crystal meth.

brewnog, just try not to overwork yourself. I find sometimes even a 30 minute nap when I get too tired to concentrate will do the trick. You have the edge of youth going for you, you can take some all nighters and long hours for awhile without too much loss in mental capacity. You sound very grounded and know when too much is enough.

You can try the "natural" approach and drink some Ginko Biloba tea, it is supposed to improve memory, but would probably require an immense amount over a prolonged period, but if you are the "suggestive" type, it may work instantaneously. :biggrin:

Hey there, Nogger;
If you couldn't tell from the intro, I'm pissed as a nit. Just got back from pool league last regular season game, but also introductory wake for a buddy. I can't attend the formal one because I have to be 50 miles away playing Legion division playoffs at the time. (I don't know the UK terminology. The Yanks seem to use "pissed" in the context of being irritated. Here in civilized territory, it means "drunk". "Pissed off" means irritated.)
EVO this is the first time that I've had something of an opportunity to correspond with you, although I have admired your image (is that an avatar?) from afar. I sort of got into looking at the thing about pictures, and have a lot of trouble with one of your responses to a question. If I read it correctly, you would be approximately my age (I was 49 last week). Either you're lying through your teeth, or you have a well-worn picture in the attic. If women like you existed in my area, I would not have wasted a couple of otherwise productive years on a 19 year-old woman who started out as a blend of Howard Bethune and Einstein, with a hint of Charles Nelson Reilly, and turned into something unrecognizable. On the other hand, I belong to the Groucho Marx school of women (I would not want to belong to any club that would have me as a member). Anyhow, between your (alleged) age and Brewnog's mention of a wench, there are a couple of sexual fantasies blown to hell right before my eyes. Now will someone please tell me how to make one of those smile things with a look of sarcasm, or at least change the text for underscore or italics or something? (The part about EVO being hot is not sarcasm; the part about Brewnog is.)

'Pissed' is correct terminology for inebriation. 'Pissed off' is annoyance. I'm glad that the language in Canada hasn't been completely tainted by the Yanks, although it seems the French have had a good stab at it.

For those who are interested, http://www.teadrinker.co.uk

Danger, why don't you try and "go advanced"? :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi there, Brewnog;
I don't know what "go advanced" means, although I suspect it means that I'm going off topic enough to warrant a different venue. Please advise.

Actually, please advise tomorrow. It's quarter past 5 in the am, and I have to work tomorrow, so toddles. My teddy bear awaits.

Brewnog--Sounds like a typical day in the consulting business. If you are under twenty, you can probably do the booze or drugs and survive, but you certainly will not prosper. Get real, there is such a thing as planning, there is such a thing as exercise, there is such a thing as being serious about what you are doing. Doing what you are doing, if you are not pulling our chains, has lead more than a few to end up on the streets, or, somewhat better, in rehab -- I know, I've seen it. I had a son who went the overwork, no planning, booze and drug route in his early twenties. Almost lost him, but he pulled himself up by the bootstraps. I'm a sometimes professional jazz musician, and I've lost friends to heroin, coke,and booze -- it ain't pretty, and it is a terrible waste, and it invariably starts small. As Nat King Cole said, "Straighten Up and Fly Right". I'm talking practical, I could give a damn about the morality issue.

Regards,
Reilly Atkinson

brewnog -- What you chose to do or not do is really none of my business. I apologize for coming on so harshly. Reilly Atkinson

Last edited:
Provigil, cigarettes, or an eight-ball (don't finish it up though)

1. What is the difference between tea, pro-plus, and amphetamines?

Tea is a drink made from steeping the leaves of the Camellia sinensis plant, while pro-plus is a brand of caffeine tablets. Amphetamines are synthetic stimulant drugs that are used for medical purposes and can also be abused as a recreational drug.

2. Can tea, pro-plus, or amphetamines help with weight loss?

While some studies have shown that caffeine, found in tea, pro-plus, and amphetamines, may slightly increase metabolism and suppress appetite, there is not enough evidence to support using these substances as a weight loss aid. Additionally, the use of amphetamines for weight loss is dangerous and should not be considered.

3. Are there any potential side effects of consuming tea, pro-plus, or amphetamines?

While tea and pro-plus are generally safe when consumed in moderation, consuming excessive amounts of caffeine can lead to side effects such as restlessness, anxiety, and irregular heartbeats. Amphetamines, on the other hand, can have a range of side effects including increased heart rate, high blood pressure, and dependence.

4. Can tea, pro-plus, or amphetamines improve cognitive function?

Caffeine, found in tea, pro-plus, and amphetamines, is a stimulant that can temporarily improve alertness and concentration. However, excessive use of these substances can lead to negative effects on cognitive function such as anxiety and difficulty sleeping.

5. Is it safe to combine tea, pro-plus, or amphetamines with other substances?

Combining caffeine with other stimulants, such as amphetamines, can increase the risk of side effects and can also lead to overstimulation and heart problems. It is important to use these substances responsibly and consult a doctor before combining them with other substances.

Back