Exploring the Parity Transformation in the Dirac Equation

In summary, the Dirac equation can be written in terms of chiral or parity transformed spinors, and by using the fact that under parity transformation, left and right handed spinors exchange, we can obtain the equation for the transformed spinor. Manipulating this equation allows us to obtain the relation between the original and transformed spinors. However, it is important to note that the transformed spinor is not simply the original spinor with a minus sign in front of the space variables, but rather involves the use of the gamma matrices.
PRB147
Dirac Equation as Example,
Dirac Equation: [tex] \left(i\gamma^\mu \partial_\mu -m \right)\psi(x)=0 [/tex]
Can I write it in the following way?
[tex] \left(i\gamma^0 \partial_0- i\gamma^j \partial_j -m \right)\psi^p(t,{\bf -x})=0 [/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
under parity transformation,dirac spinor transforms as
ψ(x,t)-γ0ψ(-x,t),wich can be obtained from fact that under parity transformation left and right handed spinors exchange.So after knowing how chiral spinors transform we can go for dirac spinor.Now γ0ψ(-x,t) satisfies dirac eqn.you can then use some manipulation to send γ0 on the left to get the eqn for ψ(-x,t).

andrien said:
under parity transformation,dirac spinor transforms as
ψ(x,t)-γ0ψ(-x,t),wich can be obtained from fact that under parity transformation left and right handed spinors exchange.So after knowing how chiral spinors transform we can go for dirac spinor.Now γ0ψ(-x,t) satisfies dirac eqn.you can then use some manipulation to send γ0 on the left to get the eqn for ψ(-x,t).

Thank you very much for your answer, my question is :
The second equation in my first thread is the direct consequence by taking parity
transformation over two sides of the first Dirac equation (of course, the right hand side of the Dirac equation is zero)?

PRB147 said:
Thank you very much for your answer, my question is :
The second equation in my first thread is the direct consequence by taking parity
transformation over two sides of the first Dirac equation (of course, the right hand side of the Dirac equation is zero)?
In writing the dirac eqn after parity transformation,you should change the sign of space variables which you have done.But so far you also have to know how dirac spinor will transform under parity.You can not simply put a minus sign with x to get parity transformed dirac spinor because
ψ(x,t)≠ψ(-x,t).the parity transformed dirac eqn reads
γ0(iγ00-iγii-m)ψ(-x,t)=0

andrien said:
In writing the dirac eqn after parity transformation,you should change the sign of space variables which you have done.But so far you also have to know how dirac spinor will transform under parity.You can not simply put a minus sign with x to get parity transformed dirac spinor because
ψ(x,t)≠ψ(-x,t).the parity transformed dirac eqn reads
γ0(iγ00-iγii-m)ψ(-x,t)=0

please look at my equation carefully, it is [tex]\psi^p(t,-{\bf x})[/tex], not ψ(-x,t)

then you should simply write ψp(t,x) which will be parity transformed spinor and then you should seek relation to original ψ.
edit-One more thing,Dirac eqn does not look like the original eqn with ψ(-x,t) but with γ0ψ(-x,t) it looks same.

Last edited:
andrien said:
then you should simply write ψp(t,x) which will be parity transformed spinor and then you should seek relation to original ψ.
edit-One more thing,Dirac eqn does not look like the original eqn with ψ(-x,t) but with γ0ψ(-x,t) it looks same.

my derivation is as follows:
Dirac Equation: [tex] \left(i\gamma^\mu \partial_\mu -m \right)\psi(x)=0 [/tex]
Taking parity transform in both sides of the above Dirac Equation:
[tex] \left(i\gamma^0 \partial_0- i\gamma^j \partial_j -m \right)\psi^p(t,{\bf -x})=0 [/tex]
Then we multiply from left [tex] \gamma^0 [/tex], then we get:
[tex] \left(i\gamma^0 \partial_0+ i\gamma^j \partial_j -m \right) \gamma^0\psi^p(t,{\bf -x})=0 [/tex]

that is to say, [tex]\gamma^0\psi^p(t,{\bf -x})[/tex] still obey the Dirac Equation

So

[tex]\gamma^0\psi^p(t,{\bf -x})=\eta_p\psi^p(t,{\bf x})[/tex]

Then
[tex]\psi^p(t,{\bf -x})=\eta_p \gamma^0\psi^p(t,{\bf x})[/tex]

and then:

[tex]\psi^p(t,{\bf x})=\eta_p \gamma^0\psi^p(t,{\bf -x})[/tex]

This is my derivation, the result is the same as yours and that in textbook.

your derivation is highly confusing.Please specify what is the meaning of[itex] \psi^p(t,{\bf x})[/itex] and [itex]\psi^p(t,{\bf -x})[/itex].when you write the parity transformed state [itex] \psi^p(t,{\bf -x})[/itex] then what is meaning of [itex]\psi^p(t,{\bf x})[/itex].

My previous derivation contains typo

the correct is as follows:

PRB147 said:
my derivation is as follows:
Dirac Equation: [tex] \left(i\gamma^\mu \partial_\mu -m \right)\psi(t,{\bf x})=0 [/tex]
Taking parity transform in both sides of the above Dirac Equation:
Then we multiply from left [tex] \gamma^0 [/tex], then we get:
[tex] \left(i\gamma^0 \partial_0+ i\gamma^j \partial_j -m \right) \gamma^0\psi^p(t,{\bf -x})=0 [/tex]

that is to say, [tex]\gamma^0\psi^p(t,{\bf -x})[/tex] still obey the Dirac Equation

So

[tex]\gamma^0\psi^p(t,{\bf -x})=\eta_p\psi(t,{\bf x})[/tex]

Then
[tex]\psi^p(t,{\bf -x})=\eta_p \gamma^0\psi(t,{\bf x})[/tex]

and then:

[tex]\psi^p(t,{\bf x})=\eta_p \gamma^0\psi(t,{\bf -x})[/tex]

This is my derivation, the result is the same as yours and that in textbook.

andrien said:
your derivation is highly confusing.Please specify what is the meaning of[itex] \psi^p(t,{\bf x})[/itex] and [itex]\psi^p(t,{\bf -x})[/itex].when you write the parity transformed state [itex] \psi^p(t,{\bf -x})[/itex] then what is meaning of [itex]\psi^p(t,{\bf x})[/itex].

Thank you very much for your patience, I understand what you said.

1. What is a parity transformation?

A parity transformation, also known as a mirror transformation, is a mathematical operation that replaces all the spatial coordinates in a system with their opposite values. This transformation essentially flips the system over an axis, creating a mirror image.

2. Why is parity transformation important in science?

Parity transformation is important in science because it helps us understand symmetries and fundamental laws of nature. It is particularly useful in the study of particle physics and quantum mechanics.

3. How does parity transformation affect physical properties?

The effect of a parity transformation on physical properties depends on the specific system being studied. In some systems, the transformation has no effect, while in others it can lead to changes in the behavior or properties of the system.

4. Can parity transformation be applied to all physical systems?

No, parity transformation cannot be applied to all physical systems. It is only applicable to systems that exhibit left-right symmetry, meaning that they look the same when reflected over an axis.

5. What are some real-life examples of parity transformation?

One example of parity transformation in real life is the reflection of light in a mirror. Another example is the behavior of subatomic particles, where the transformation can lead to changes in their spin or other properties.