Dynamos & Power Plants - Question

In summary, the question is whether dynamos in power plants need batteries while they are producing electricity. The answer is no, as once they are started, they do not require external excitation. However, power plants use oil and nuclear reactants to produce electricity, as the dynamo relies on input mechanical power to convert mechanical work into electrical energy. This is different from cars, which do not need the battery while running but require it to start.
John231
Dynamos & Power Plants -- Question

Please Read!
I know that cars need batteries to generate electricity to the dynamo to make the dynamo produce electricity continuously without stopping unless you switched off the car. The same to motorcycles. But I don't know whether the power plants do the same thing, so I need an answer for this question if you don't mind:

Q: Do dynamos in power plants need batteries even if they're switched ON and producing electricity? If so, can't we remove the batteries from the dynamos after switching the dynamo on? Or do the "oil" and "nuclear reactants" do the work instead of batteries? Because I know that Dirt Bikes that have a "kick starter" can work without batteries via kicking the kick starter thingy to produce mechanical energy to the dynamo to make the dynamo produce electricity. But I heard that Cars cannot work the same as Dirt Bikes due to their "large engine and bla bla...", you cannot remove batteries from the car even if the dynamo is producing electricity so there will be no dangerous electricity going through the car. So I really want to know, do power plants' dynamos have batteries or they work without them?
Thank you!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Cars don't need the battery when running - if they did, it wouldn't be possible to jump-start a car with a destroyed battery.

In any case, power plants' generators have to be started but once started do not require external excitation.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Excitation_(magnetic [Broken])

Last edited by a moderator:
russ_watters said:
Cars don't need the battery when running - if they did, it wouldn't be possible to jump-start a car with a destroyed battery.

In any case, power plants' generators have to be started but once started do not require external excitation.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Excitation_(magnetic [Broken])

Then why do we use Oil and Nuclear Reactants for power plants to produce electricity? It was said that the "Oil has to be burnt to boil water and make steam, use the steam to drive a steam turbine, use the steam turbine to spin the electrical generator/dynamo to make electricity." And the Nuclear Reactors are the same.
So I guess the Dynamo can't run without these things. Can you explain more if you don't mind?? Any more answers are appreciated and thank you for your informative answer!

Last edited by a moderator:
Wait, what? Your first post asked if dynamos required batteries. That has nothing to do with the question of whether the prime mover requires input mechanical power! That's a completely separate question! The reason a generator requires input mechanical power is because a generator converts mechanical work to electrical energy. In other words, the force required to move electrons through a wire physically pushes against the generator's rotation.

Ok, I see you have multiple threads open asking the same questions. Please don't do that. Thread locked.

What is a dynamo?

A dynamo is a type of electrical machine that converts mechanical energy into electrical energy. It typically consists of a rotating coil of wire, called an armature, and a stationary magnet, which creates a magnetic field. As the armature rotates, it induces an electric current in the wire, which can then be used to power devices.

How do dynamos work?

Dynamos work by utilizing the principle of electromagnetic induction. As the armature rotates, it cuts through the magnetic field created by the stationary magnet, causing an electric current to be induced in the wire. This current can then be harnessed and used to power devices such as light bulbs or motors.

What are the different types of dynamos?

There are several different types of dynamos, including DC dynamos, AC dynamos, and permanent magnet dynamos. DC dynamos produce direct current, while AC dynamos produce alternating current. Permanent magnet dynamos use a permanent magnet in place of an electromagnet to create the magnetic field.

What is a power plant?

A power plant is a facility that generates electricity using various types of energy sources. These sources can include coal, natural gas, nuclear energy, wind, and solar power. Power plants use dynamos or other electrical generators to convert the energy into electricity that can then be distributed to homes and businesses.

How do power plants impact the environment?

Power plants can have significant impacts on the environment, depending on the type of fuel used. Fossil fuel power plants, such as those that burn coal or natural gas, release air pollutants and greenhouse gases that contribute to climate change. Nuclear power plants produce radioactive waste that must be safely stored, and renewable energy power plants, such as wind and solar, have minimal environmental impacts but require large areas of land for installation.