Amperage of 50 farads at 12 volts

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of a power bank being able to discharge 600 amps in 1 second based on its 50 farads at 12 volts capacity. There is a mention of potential limitations due to the series inductance impedance of the capacitors. The conversation ends with Ramone mentioning that he wants to build a power bank for an electric drill.
ramonegumpert
Dear Experts

If I have 50 farads at 12 v, does this mean this power bank can discharge 600amps in 1 second based on 1 farad = 1 amp per second per volt ?

Thanks for reading.

Regards
Ramone

Engineering news on Phys.org
ramonegumpert said:
Dear Experts

If I have 50 farads at 12 v, does this mean this power bank can discharge 600amps in 1 second based on 1 farad = 1 amp per second per volt ?

Thanks for reading.

Regards
Ramone

I get an average of [STRIKE]525A[/STRIKE] 600A, but the series [STRIKE]inductance [/STRIKE] impedance of that big of a set of capacitors would probably limit the peak discharge current.

What the heck are you wanting to build?

Dear Berkeman

Thanks for your advice.

I am trying to build a powerbank for an electric drill.

Thanks !

Best regards
Ramone

1. What is the definition of amperage?

Amperage, also known as current, is a unit of measurement for the flow of electric charge. It is measured in amperes (A) and is a representation of the rate at which electric charges move through a circuit.

2. How is amperage related to voltage?

Amperage and voltage are directly related in an electrical circuit. As voltage increases, amperage also increases, and vice versa. This is known as Ohm's Law, which states that current (I) is equal to voltage (V) divided by resistance (R), or I=V/R.

3. What is the significance of 50 farads in relation to amperage?

Farads is a unit of measurement for capacitance, which is the ability of a material to store an electrical charge. In this case, 50 farads is a measure of the amount of charge that can be stored in a capacitor at 12 volts. It is a large amount of capacitance and can result in a high amperage flow when discharged.

4. How does amperage affect the performance of electronic devices?

The amperage of an electronic device determines how much power it can handle and how efficiently it can operate. If the amperage is too low, the device may not function properly. On the other hand, if the amperage is too high, it can cause damage to the device and potentially start a fire.

5. How can amperage be measured?

Amperage can be measured using a device called an ammeter, which is specifically designed to measure electric current. It is typically connected in series with the circuit and can provide an accurate reading of the amperage flowing through the circuit at a given point in time.