What kind of device I'm looking for?

• Thread starter t3rom
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Device
In summary: For example, I've several power adapters of cellphones/routers/modems etc lying around at home. I want to find out if they're any good, however I don't have the right devices (cellphones/modem/router) to check them with.In summary, you can use a voltmeter to test an AC adapter's output, but this is only a rough indication of whether it is suitable for its intended purpose.
t3rom
I've several power adapters of cellphones/routers/modems etc lying around at home. I want to find out if they're any good, however I don't have the right devices (cellphones/modem/router) to check them with.

I only have a voltage tester: http://www.royalmaster.com.co/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/fer6-1024x768.jpg

I know this voltage tester can't determine what I want to accomplish, but just for fun I put it on the tip of my Nokia cellphone's working power adapter (connected to a power source) and as expected it didn't do anything. I'm looking for something economical to show me volts/amps etc. when I put it on the tip of these adapters.

Thanks in advance!

Engineering news on Phys.org
you should better use the digital voltmeter which uses magnetic field to determine the voltage. they are useful for a single wire.

Will this work? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-Digital-LCD-Multimeter-XL-830L-Voltmeter-Ammeter-Ohmmeter-OHM-VOLT-Tester-/330963842938?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d0efb777a

ALOKR said:
you should better use the digital voltmeter which uses magnetic field to determine the voltage. they are useful for a single wire.

Ummmmm, no.

Averagesupernova said:
Ummmmm, no.

What do you suggest I should use, Averagesupernova?

Thanks!

t3rom said:
What do you suggest I should use, Averagesupernova?

Thanks!

What I mean by that is voltage is not measured by sensing a magnetic field. Before you do this you should understand the difference between volts, amps, watts, etc. Understand ohms law and how to apply it.

t3rom said:
I know this voltage tester can't determine what I want to accomplish, but just for fun I put it on the tip of my Nokia cellphone's working power adapter (connected to a power source) and as expected it didn't do anything. I'm looking for something economical to show me volts/amps etc. when I put it on the tip of these adapters.

That voltage tester is only good for high voltages, say 80V and above, owing to the principle on which it works.

The only 100% reliable way to determine whether an AC adapter is suitable for its intended purpose is to test it with the device it was designed for. But as you say, you don't have those devices at hand. In this case, you can test the output with a voltmeter (set it to AC or DC as appropriate), but this is only a rough indication and tells you nothing about the adapter under load. Some perfectly functioning adapters (ones having more than two output wires) may deliver no or low volts unless connected to the proper device, so don't bin any valuable adapter based on one simple voltmeter reading. :smile:

If you maintain a collection of surplus AC adapters, you'll be surprised how often something there saves the day. :wink:

1. What is the purpose of the device I'm looking for?

The purpose of the device you are looking for depends on your specific needs and goals. Devices can serve a wide range of purposes, from measuring and analyzing data to performing tasks or experiments. It is important to determine your specific needs before searching for a device.

2. What features should I consider when choosing a device?

Some important features to consider when choosing a device include accuracy, precision, range, durability, and ease of use. It is also important to consider the compatibility of the device with other equipment or software you may already have.

3. What is the difference between analog and digital devices?

Analog devices use continuous physical quantities to represent data, while digital devices use discrete numerical values. Analog devices tend to be more sensitive and provide more detailed data, while digital devices are often more accurate and easier to read and interpret.

4. Should I purchase a brand-name device or a generic one?

The decision to purchase a brand-name or generic device depends on your specific needs and budget. Brand-name devices are often more reliable and come with customer support, but they may also be more expensive. Generic devices may be more cost-effective, but they may not have the same level of quality or support.

5. How do I ensure the accuracy and reliability of the device I choose?

To ensure accuracy and reliability, it is important to carefully read reviews and specifications of the device, as well as test it before use. Regular maintenance and calibration can also help maintain the accuracy and reliability of the device over time.