Starter Motor Torque for Electric Motorcycle Propulsion

In summary, the conversation discusses the expected stall torque of a regular car/small tractor starter motor. The speaker measured 7-9 Nm on a starter motor and is unsure if this performance is typical or if the motor is faulty. They also mention using a 12V battery and a battery booster, but were unable to measure the current. The purpose of asking about the stall torque is to determine if it is suitable for use in an electric motorcycle. The speaker also mentions a website that specifies a starter torque of 200 Nm and another website that offers a similar starter motor. They speculate that the gearing may not have been mentioned in the first website's information.
MechatronO
What is expected in stall torque from a regular car/small tractor starter motor?

I measured 7-9 Nm on a starter motor I had lying around, and I'm not sure if this motor is crappy or if such performance is expected.
It was fed with 12V battery and parallelled with a battery booster (basically a transformer with 12V ouput). I couldn't measure the current, but the boosters 40A current indicator looked like it was going to hurl its pointer through the glass.

The reason I ask is because if it seems to have a reasonable stall torque it will propel an electric motorcycle.

Engineering news on Phys.org

What is expected start motor torque?

Expected start motor torque refers to the amount of torque that a motor is expected to produce at the start of operation. It is an important factor to consider when designing and selecting a motor for a specific application.

Why is expected start motor torque important?

Expected start motor torque is important because it determines the ability of a motor to start and accelerate a load. If the motor does not have enough torque, it may not be able to start or may take a long time to reach its desired speed, leading to inefficient operation and potential damage to the motor.

How is expected start motor torque calculated?

Expected start motor torque is calculated by multiplying the motor's rated torque by its starting torque multiplier. The starting torque multiplier takes into account the motor's design, power supply, and load characteristics.

What factors can affect expected start motor torque?

Several factors can affect expected start motor torque, including the motor's design, power supply, load characteristics, and ambient conditions. Other factors such as mechanical losses, electrical losses, and temperature can also impact the motor's ability to produce torque at start-up.

How can expected start motor torque be improved?

The expected start motor torque can be improved by selecting a motor with a higher starting torque rating, using a soft starter or variable frequency drive to reduce the starting current, and optimizing the motor's design to reduce losses and improve efficiency. Proper maintenance and lubrication can also help maintain the motor's torque over time.