Can we see atoms? How do we know they exist?

• Thread starter SF49erfan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Atoms
In summary, as far as atoms are concerned, we can see them using various tools to enhance our natural senses, and they exist due to the accurate description of atomic energy levels. Additionally, a Bose-Einstein condensate shows something of the nature of atoms.
SF49erfan
Can we see atoms or other atomic stuff like electrons and protons, etc.? If not, how can we know they exist and how they behave?

Physics news on Phys.org
We "see" atoms by using tools to enhance our built-in senses. So "yes" we can see atoms etc. just like we can see anything that is invisible without some sort of equipment.

The picture we have of atoms and similar is a model built up over lots of observations over a long time with a variety of equipment - at each stage establishing what is going on.

https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/can-see-atom/

Last edited by a moderator:
Somewhat relevant: the smallest movie in the world made by IBM research in spring 2013.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeUmrK92ZIA

AAAmelia said:
Can we see atoms or other atomic stuff like electrons and protons, etc.? If not, how can we know they exist and how they behave?

The existence of atoms involves MORE than just what you can (or cannot) see with your eyes! The accurate description of the atomic energy levels when compared to experiments is one VERY strong and compelling reasons why we know they exist the way we have understood it.

Zz.

Trave11er said:
Somewhat relevant: the smallest movie in the world made by IBM research in spring 2013.

Very cool. Thanks for posting.

Trave11er said:

phinds said:
Very cool. Thanks for posting.

likewise
thankyou -- amazing what they can achieve these days

here's the longer video showing the making of the movie
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBpu4OPw6bM

Dave

AAAmelia: Our theory of atoms took a long time to develop. There was evidence matter was made of atoms long before we could see them. Wikipedia has a short history which details some of the early evidence that persuaded people matter was made of atoms.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atom#History

Perhaps skip any bits you don't understand.

ZapperZ said:
The existence of atoms involves MORE than just what you can (or cannot) see with your eyes!
I'd flip that over and say that in experimental sciences, very little (close to nothing) is based on what can be seen with our eyes.

AAAmelia said:

probably better to ask can we detect atoms rather that can we see.
you do not need to see with your eyes to know something exists.

Emilyjoint said:
probably better to ask can we detect atoms rather that can we see.
you do not need to see with your eyes to know something exists.

I have never seen the back of my neck bit I can be pretty certain it's there.

X-rays are used to make images that show the positions of Atoms in crystals. X-rays are like light, em waves, so their images would be similar to light if it produced images.

From OP's statistics page:
Last Activity: Aug12-13 11:53 PM

sophiecentaur said:
I have never seen the back of my neck bit I can be pretty certain it's there.

Mirrors don't work for you? Maybe it's time to start a thread on experimental investigation of vampirism and related phenomena...

(In case it's not obvious... I'm poking fun at the thread not you :smile:)

I don't believe in mirrors or CCTV.

Mark44 said:
Starting a thread and never returning to it.

Hi guys - I don't mean to "hit and run" as you call it and I apologize if that is the traditional forum etiquette here to return to a thread to post afterwards.

I was quite busy with school and had forgotten to check back, but with my other threads I did actually read people's responses. I may not always post back, but I don't mean at all to imply that I was ungrateful for everyone's thoughts! It might just mean that I was either very busy and/or I may have read the responses and thought "Great!"

I guess sometimes I just think it's OK to not respond, since it might be a "waste" of people's time for me to just say, "AWESOME!" or something like that, but I shall try in the future here to at least let folks know I got their messages. I actually do genuinely appreciate people's thoughts and have learned some things from these forums. Thanks a bunch again!

davenn said:
likewise
thankyou -- amazing what they can achieve these days

here's the longer video showing the making of the movie
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBpu4OPw6bM

Dave

I just watched both videos as well and they were very cool!

Neat how they used an existing atom(s) to move the still atom by getting them to chemically react in creating that movie!

As a follow-up question, do university chemistry/physics courses allow use of these super powerful "tools" for viewing atoms?

AAAmelia said:
I guess sometimes I just think it's OK to not respond, since it might be a "waste" of people's time for me to just say, "AWESOME!" or something like that

That's what the "thanks" button is for :smile: :smile:

Hi guys - I don't mean to "hit and run" as you call it and I apologize if that is the traditional forum etiquette here to return to a thread to post afterwards.

that's the etiquette of life, not just this forum :smile:

I guess sometimes I just think it's OK to not respond, since it might be a "waste" of people's time for me to just say, "AWESOME!" or something like that,

no that's just rude :wink:

its ALWAYS polite to acknowledge responses when a question is asked and answered

if you DONT answer how are we all to know that our posts helped you or not ??
it leaves us all wondering ... ummm wonder if he/she understood ??

happy New Year from Sydney, Australia

Dave

Afaics, if the OP doesn't return after a page or two of thread then it's open season. The thing to do, if you really don't know much about the subject you post a question about, you should make that clear. If you are already half way there then I feel you should word the question appropriately (say, with some Maths). It's all too easy to give an answer that's way below or above what the OP wants and that can frustrate everyone.
I have read some excellent questions that start off "I am doing AS Physics and I have just come across a problem with the Photoelectric effect . . . . ." We all know where we stand then and the OP will probably have got the answer after a couple of responses.

Trave11er said:

Thanks again for this video, Very cool.

AAAmelia said:

There are some photos of atoms and molecules

29194901.jpg

triptych350.jpg

http://www.scientificamerican.com/media/inline/the-shape-of-atoms_1.jpg

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg21829194.900-smile-hydrogen-atom-youre-on-quantum-camera.html#.UsUzR41M84M

http://newscenter.berkeley.edu/2013/05/30/scientists-capture-first-images-of-molecules-before-and-after-reaction/

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=the-shape-of-atoms

sophiecentaur said:
Afaics, if the OP doesn't return after a page or two of thread then it's open season. The thing to do, if you really don't know much about the subject you post a question about, you should make that clear. If you are already half way there then I feel you should word the question appropriately (say, with some Maths). It's all too easy to give an answer that's way below or above what the OP wants and that can frustrate everyone.
I have read some excellent questions that start off "I am doing AS Physics and I have just come across a problem with the Photoelectric effect . . . . ." We all know where we stand then and the OP will probably have got the answer after a couple of responses.

Makes sense! Thanks!

1. Can we see atoms with our eyes?

No, we cannot see atoms with our eyes because atoms are much smaller than the wavelength of visible light, which is what our eyes can detect.

2. How do scientists know that atoms exist?

Scientists use a variety of techniques such as microscopy, spectroscopy, and particle accelerators to indirectly observe and study atoms. These techniques provide evidence for the existence of atoms through their behavior and interactions with other particles.

3. Can we ever directly see an atom?

It is currently not possible to directly see an individual atom, but scientists have developed advanced microscopes that can capture images of groups of atoms, known as scanning tunneling microscopes and atomic force microscopes. However, these microscopes still use indirect methods to detect the presence of atoms.

4. How do we know the structure of atoms if we can't see them?

Scientists have developed models and theories based on experimental evidence to understand the structure and behavior of atoms. The most widely accepted model is the quantum mechanical model, which describes atoms as having a nucleus made up of protons and neutrons surrounded by electrons in energy levels.

5. Can we manipulate atoms?

Yes, scientists have developed techniques to manipulate individual atoms using specialized tools such as atomic force microscopes and lasers. This has led to advancements in fields such as nanotechnology and materials science.