Acceleration of Spring Mass System - oneplusone

In summary, the acceleration of a spring mass system is equal to -kx/m at all displacements and at maximum amplitude, the magnitude of the acceleration is maximum and the velocity is zero.
oneplusone
I always see those spring mass type questions on AP M.C. questions. Ones with a horizontal spring connected to a mass.
I understand that at the maximum amplitude, the velocity is zero since it is changing direction, and the displacement is maximum. However, what is the acceleration like? I can't seem to visualize it. Please help.

Cheers,
oneplusone

Physics news on Phys.org
Velocity is the first derivative of displacement and acceleration is the first derivative of velocity. If the displacement varies as a sin function, it's easy to calc velocity and acceleration. At max displacement, the magnitude of the acceleration is maximum and the velocity is zero.

oneplusone said:
I always see those spring mass type questions on AP M.C. questions. Ones with a horizontal spring connected to a mass.
I understand that at the maximum amplitude, the velocity is zero since it is changing direction, and the displacement is maximum. However, what is the acceleration like? I can't seem to visualize it. Please help.

Cheers,
oneplusone
At any displacement, the spring force is equal to the spring constant k times the displacement x. So the acceleration must be equal to -kx/m at all displacements.

1. What is a spring mass system?

A spring mass system is a physical system that consists of a mass attached to a spring. The mass is free to move along a horizontal axis, and the spring exerts a force on the mass, causing it to accelerate.

2. What is acceleration in a spring mass system?

Acceleration in a spring mass system refers to the change in velocity that the mass experiences due to the force exerted by the spring. It is typically measured in units of meters per second squared (m/s²).

3. How is acceleration calculated in a spring mass system?

The acceleration of a spring mass system can be calculated using the equation a = -kx/m, where a is the acceleration, k is the spring constant, x is the displacement of the mass from its equilibrium position, and m is the mass of the object.

4. What factors affect the acceleration of a spring mass system?

The acceleration of a spring mass system is affected by the mass of the object, the spring constant, and the displacement of the mass from its equilibrium position. Additionally, factors such as air resistance and friction can also affect the acceleration.

5. How does the OnePlusOne app calculate acceleration in a spring mass system?

The OnePlusOne app uses the equation a = -kx/m to calculate acceleration in a spring mass system. It takes input values for the spring constant, mass, and displacement of the mass from the user and uses these values to calculate the acceleration. The app also allows for the visualization of the spring mass system and its motion over time.