Where Will Our Universe End? An Unanswerable Mystery

• Thread starter Emp-Naval
  • Start date
In summary: We don't literally need to constantly measure ourselves against a real object. Inertial navigation uses onboard, passive sensors that sense acceleration and direction and then uses that data to calculate a position without ever having to "look" at...I see, so it would be like having a GPS in space, without having to constantly input coordinates.Exactly.
Emp-Naval
OK... So I was sitting there minding my own business when my alter ego popped out of no where and started asking me all these weird questions...

One in particular was interesting enough, and I couldn't even imagine what would be the result.

What if we mounted every planet, star, asteroid, and every last bit of matter with thrusters strong enough to move them. Then we simultaneously start them in the same direction (+ve X axis?), where would we end at? For the sake of discussion, let's say that the thrusters will last indefinitely.

Physics news on Phys.org
After rethinking, this belongs to General Astronomy... If a mod could move it please, and sorry for the inconvenience.

What difference does doing this to "every last bit of matter" make?

so we could move all the matter in the universe...

since its impossible to do, its pretty pointless thinking about it.

We would end up X distance from where we were, where X is an ever increasing amount. Assuming we continue to accelerate, as you've worded your question that way, we would see the CMB blueshift in one direction and redshift in the other. Eventually the blueshift would be so high that the incoming radiation would be in the gamma ray range, and after even more time the gamma rays would be able to disintegrate matter through the photodisintegration effect. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photodisintegration

davenn said:
since its impossible to do, its pretty pointless thinking about it.

I know it's impossible, but why wouldn't you want to use your mind a little?!

Drakkith said:
We would end up X distance from where we were, where X is an ever increasing amount. Assuming we continue to accelerate, as you've worded your question that way, we would see the CMB blueshift in one direction and redshift in the other. Eventually the blueshift would be so high that the incoming radiation would be in the gamma ray range, and after even more time the gamma rays would be able to disintegrate matter through the photodisintegration effect. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photodisintegration

We will end up an X distance from what... There is nothing to be moving in respect to?

Emp-Naval said:
We will end up an X distance from what... There is nothing to be moving in respect to?

Sure there is. The cosmic microwave background. We could use that as a reference and devise frames of reference for each object to compare itself to.

Ok, CMB might work as a "temporary" solution, but sooner or later it will just disappear, like in a trillion years from now I reckon...

Besides, If every last bit of matter moved 10 cm to the right, where would it be moving into, the matter is the universe! I think the question can be de-dramatized to the classical question, what lies behind the edge of our universe?

Emp-Naval said:
What if we mounted every planet, star, asteroid, and every last bit of matter with thrusters strong enough to move them. Then we simultaneously start them in the same direction (+ve X axis?), where would we end at? For the sake of discussion, let's say that the thrusters will last indefinitely.

Thrusters work by sending matter in the opposite direction, so you can't move "every bit of matter" in the same direction without sending some of it in the opposite direction. This is momentum conservation 101.

Borek said:
Thrusters work by sending matter in the opposite direction, so you can't move "every bit of matter" in the same direction without sending some of it in the opposite direction. This is momentum conservation 101.

Good point here, and I feel dumb now >.>

Emp-Naval said:
Ok, CMB might work as a "temporary" solution, but sooner or later it will just disappear, like in a trillion years from now I reckon...

The CMB is only used to give ourselves an initial reference point. We could use any inertial frame and still be okay. For example, if we were to use the frame of a particle that is later annihilated, the frame of reference would still be just fine. You can think of it as putting an imaginary observer right next to the particle that continues on with whatever velocity the particle had before annihilation.

Besides, If every last bit of matter moved 10 cm to the right, where would it be moving into, the matter is the universe! I think the question can be de-dramatized to the classical question, what lies behind the edge of our universe?

The matter is not the universe, nor is there a known edge to the universe. If everything moved 10 cm to the right, it would be 10 cm to the right from its previous position.

Note that we don't literally need to constantly measure ourselves against a real object. Inertial navigation uses onboard, passive sensors that sense acceleration and direction and then uses that data to calculate a position without ever having to "look" at anything.

Emp-Naval,
Are you thinking that the Universe have a boundary?Like a ball?
When I was a kid,I thought that if I go out of the Universe,I would see white colour all around.

adjacent said:
When I was a kid,I thought that if I go out of the Universe,I would see white colour all around.

I always thought it would be pitch black.

Emp-Naval said:
I know it's impossible, but why wouldn't you want to use your mind a little?!

cuz I have better and more practical, real world, things to think about
than to waste time on the impossible :wink:

Dave

Emp-Naval said:

Why is that a problem?

Taking the Machian point of view, if you moved everything, then it's the same as not moving at all, since only relative motions are measurable.

1. What is the current scientific understanding of the end of the universe?

Currently, the most widely accepted theory is the Big Freeze or Heat Death, where the universe will continue to expand until all energy is evenly distributed and no more work can be done. This would result in a cold, dark, and lifeless universe.

2. Will the universe end in a Big Crunch?

The Big Crunch theory suggests that the expansion of the universe will eventually reverse and lead to a collapse, resulting in a violent end. However, recent observations suggest that the universe is actually accelerating in its expansion, making the Big Crunch less likely.

3. What is the role of dark energy in the end of the universe?

Dark energy is believed to be the force driving the accelerating expansion of the universe. While its exact nature is still a mystery, it is thought to be the main factor in determining the fate of the universe. If dark energy continues to push the universe apart, the Big Freeze is more likely, but if it weakens or changes, other possibilities may arise.

4. Are there any other theories about the end of the universe?

Aside from the Big Freeze and Big Crunch, there are other theories such as the Big Rip, where the universe will expand at an exponential rate until everything is torn apart. There is also the possibility of a Big Bounce, where the universe will collapse and then bounce back into a new cycle of expansion and contraction.

5. Will we ever know for sure how the universe will end?

It is unlikely that we will ever have a definitive answer about the end of the universe. The vastness of space and the limitations of our current technology make it difficult to fully understand and predict the fate of the universe. However, scientific research and advancements may bring us closer to understanding this mystery in the future.