How much trig should I know before taking calculus based physics?

In summary, you should know the basics of trigonometry, inverse trig functions, trignometric equations, double angle and half angle formulas, product-to-sum and sum-to-product formulas.
annoyinggirl
I'm taking my first semester of calculus based physics next week. How much trig should I know? I know the basics and inverse trig functions and stuff but should i know about trignometric equations, double angle and half angle formulas, product-to-sum and sum-to-product formulas?

I passed both calculus 1 and calculus 2.

Physics news on Phys.org
You are all set...presumably you did well in algebra as well...that is important. Master the basic properties of a right triangle.

I think what you know might be enough.

For me, it is enough that I know there are all sorts of trig identities. I do remember a few very basic ones. When I come across some tricky trig which I cannot handle with what I remember, I just go to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_trigonometric_identities. Of course, if you are going to be given some problems which you have to solve without using any help whatsoever, that is not helpful. One way to deal with that is memorize Euler's formula, which is very simple. Then you can easily derive most of trig identities from it, as shown here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euler's_formula#Relationship_to_trigonometry

annoyinggirl said:
I'm taking my first semester of calculus based physics next week. How much trig should I know? I know the basics and inverse trig functions and stuff but should i know about trignometric equations, double angle and half angle formulas, product-to-sum and sum-to-product formulas?

I passed both calculus 1 and calculus 2.

You don't actually have to know all those trig identities and formulae but you do need to be aware of them and know where you can find them when you need them. Way down the line there are endless identities and transforms you will need to be familiar with but they come in bite sized portions as you progress.
The worst thing about calculus based physics can be recognising the standard integrals when they turn up with odd symbols and constants in them. Practice will help.

Ask your professor! Also, cover your homework very well. If a particular math method is used in your homework, assume it will be on the test. It's rare to get a professor that will throw you a curve ball without warning.

1. How much trigonometry is needed for calculus based physics?

A solid understanding of basic trigonometry is necessary for success in calculus based physics. This includes concepts such as trigonometric functions, identities, and basic trigonometric equations.

2. Can I skip learning trigonometry before taking calculus based physics?

No, it is not recommended to skip learning trigonometry before taking calculus based physics. Trigonometry is a foundational subject for calculus and is necessary for understanding many physics concepts.

3. What specific concepts in trigonometry are important for calculus based physics?

Some important concepts in trigonometry for calculus based physics include right triangle trigonometry, trigonometric functions (such as sine, cosine, and tangent), and trigonometric identities (such as the Pythagorean identity).

4. How can I brush up on my trigonometry skills before taking calculus based physics?

There are many resources available for brushing up on trigonometry skills, such as online tutorials, practice problems, and textbooks. It may also be helpful to review any notes or materials from previous math courses that covered trigonometry.

5. Is it possible to learn trigonometry while taking calculus based physics?

While it is possible to learn some trigonometry concepts while taking calculus based physics, it is not recommended. It is important to have a solid understanding of trigonometry before diving into calculus based physics, as many concepts build upon each other.