Is Majoring in Biomedical Engineering the Best Path for a Career in the Field?

• Thread starter unggio
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Opinions
In summary, the conversation discusses the individual's plan to study for a bachelor's degree in physics and a minor in biomedical engineering at UC Irvine. They mention their desire to end up in a career in biomedical engineering and how studying physics will provide them with better problem-solving skills. However, they also express concerns about the physics GRE and the possibility of it affecting their GPA. The other person suggests that if they want to pursue graduate school in BME, it would be wise to major in it. They also suggest possibly minoring in physics if the individual still wants to study it.
unggio
im thinking about getting a bachelors in physics and a minor in biomedical engineering at UC Irvine.

i want to end up in biomedical engineering as a career.

physics will give me better problem solving skills than engineering, and hopefully will not kill my GPA. i also like physics.

good idea?

i also plan on eventually attending graduate school in BME.

(the physics GRE scares me, you have to memorize all the equations)

Engineering news on Phys.org
Bad idea.

They both solve problems. In you want to end up in biomedical engineering,
get into [drum roll please] biomedical engineering for your major.

I would also agree that if you plan to go to grad school for biomedical engineering, you should major in it as well. It will make you more familiar with the field that you are going into. If you still want to do physics, perhaps minoring in that?

1. What should I do if I need some advice or opinions?

The first step is to identify who you can turn to for advice or opinions. This could be a mentor, colleague, friend, or family member. Be sure to choose someone who has experience or knowledge in the area you need advice on.

2. How do I approach someone for advice or opinions?

When asking for advice or opinions, it is important to be respectful and considerate. Clearly explain the situation and why you are seeking their advice or opinion. Be open to their feedback and thank them for their time.

3. How do I know if the advice or opinions I receive are reliable?

To ensure the reliability of the advice or opinions you receive, consider the source. Is the person qualified or experienced in the area you need advice on? Also, take into account the potential biases or motives of the person giving the advice.

4. What should I do if I receive conflicting advice or opinions?

If you receive conflicting advice or opinions, it can be helpful to gather more information and perspectives. You can also consider the credibility of the sources and make a decision based on what aligns with your own values and goals.

5. How can I show my appreciation for someone's advice or opinions?

Showing gratitude for someone's advice or opinions is important. You can thank them in person or send a thank-you note. You can also offer to return the favor and provide advice or opinions in an area where you have expertise.