What makes water safe/unsafe to drink?

• Thread starter decs
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Water
In summary: This is definitely something that I need to be more aware of. I'll definitely be more careful about drinking water in the future. In summary, hyponatremia is a serious condition that occurs when you lose too much sodium or drink a lot of water. It can cause nausea, confusion, seizures, and coma.
decs
i'm investigating how the molecular construction of water makes it safe for us to drink, what components would make it unsafe or 'less safe', and how i could test for these things.

Cheers,

Chemistry news on Phys.org
bacteria and heavy metals aren't good for drinking water.

Straight up,

Heavy metals, and heavy metal oxides are the worst.
Anything over 1-2% is toxic i think.

Bacteria and Viruses are up there,

Also, Acid Mine Water from mine drainage into Aquifers is really bad.

As for testing, distilling a water sample, and testing the precipatates accordingly is a laboursome way.
You could possibly use mass-spectroscopy.

we trade off the dangers of bacteria and viruses for other harmful (potentially carcinogenic) compounds such as chloramines and halogens.

almost any inorganic chemical is toxic in adequite amounts in drinking water.

We had a similar discussion in Biology a while back regarding drinking water safety, but not with any emphasis on detection of contaminants. You might want to refer back to that discussion for additional information on water treatment and issues regarding compounds formed during that treatment.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=41740

Interesting thread.

Hello decs,

I've read about a student who died of drinking too much water,
he suffered from "hyponatremia":
http://www.accessexcellence.org/HHQ/qow/qow04/qow050314.html

Here another case:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/08/10/AR2005081001460.html
"Hyponatremia, an abnormally low salt concentration in the blood, occurs when a person loses a large amount of sodium or consumes a large amount of water. Hyponatremia in athletes is almost always caused by drinking too much water.

As the blood becomes increasingly diluted, water moves out of the bloodstream and into cells, which swell. The swelling of the brain is responsible for the symptoms of severe hyponatremia -- nausea, confusion, seizures and coma. If pressure inside the skull increases enough, the base of the brain is squeezed downward through where connects it to the spinal cord, causing death."

Ouch...

1. What are the main contaminants that can make water unsafe to drink?

The main contaminants that can make water unsafe to drink include bacteria, viruses, parasites, chemicals, and heavy metals. These can enter water sources through pollution, agricultural runoff, or inadequate treatment.

2. How can I tell if my tap water is safe to drink?

The best way to determine if your tap water is safe to drink is to check your local water quality report. This report is issued by your local water utility and will list any contaminants found in the water supply. You can also purchase a home water testing kit to test for common contaminants.

3. Can boiling water make it safe to drink?

Boiling water can kill most bacteria, viruses, and parasites that may be present in the water. However, it will not remove chemicals or heavy metals. It is also important to note that boiling water will not make it safe to drink if the source of contamination is from chemicals or pollutants in the water source itself.

4. How does water treatment make water safe to drink?

Water treatment involves several processes, including filtration, disinfection, and adding chemicals such as chlorine or fluoride. These processes remove or kill contaminants in the water, making it safe to drink. Water treatment plants must follow strict regulations and guidelines to ensure that the water meets safety standards.

5. Can bottled water be considered safer than tap water?

Bottled water is not necessarily safer than tap water. In fact, many bottled water companies use tap water as their source and may not be subject to the same regulations as public water systems. Additionally, plastic bottles can leach chemicals into the water over time. It is recommended to check the source and quality of bottled water before consuming it.