Computer Engineering or Computer Science?

In summary, many of the Computer Engineering hardware jobs are now mostly outsourced. A CE degree will not guarantee a programming job, but if you have the appropriate coursework, you can still find work as a programmer.
Sentience
I have heard that many of the Computer Engineering hardware jobs are mostly outsourced these days. Is this true? I'm kind of frustrated because I don't mind programming but I like learning about hardware too.

But, I know there are tons of programming jobs. Can someone with a CE degree still get a programming job doing high level code like Java or is that a job for a CS degree?

Physics news on Phys.org
Sentience said:
I have heard that many of the Computer Engineering hardware jobs are mostly outsourced these days. Is this true? I'm kind of frustrated because I don't mind programming but I like learning about hardware too.

But, I know there are tons of programming jobs. Can someone with a CE degree still get a programming job doing high level code like Java or is that a job for a CS degree?

Welcome to the PF. One of the cool features here, is that once you start a thread, there is a section down at the bottom of the thread that shows Related Threads. There appear to be a number of them! Wow. The first one has 28 posts, so hopefully it will help you out some. Here's the direct link:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=179816

Sentience, I've interviewed a number of people over the last ten years for Java development positions. If you've taken the required courses, you can get work as a programmer. My own degree isn't in computer programming and I've done fine.

After reading the link that berkeman posted, there was one good insight to getting a job that I definitely agree with - netspeak, sloppy writing, etc. do get noticed on resumes and correspondence. If I have a choice between two identical developers, guess who I'm going to choose? BTW, that advice is for anyone else who may be reading this - your writing is fine.

Obligatory BLS links:

http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos266.htm"
http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos267.htm"
http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos110.htm"
http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos042.htm"

These pages contain the official US government answers to your questions. Make sure you check out the employment projections, and where they have it, starting salary. See also the related occupations.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the difference between Computer Engineering and Computer Science?

Computer Engineering is a field that focuses on the design and development of computer hardware and systems, while Computer Science is a field that focuses on the theoretical and practical aspects of computing and software development. Computer Engineering involves a combination of electrical engineering and computer science, while Computer Science is more focused on algorithms, programming languages, and software development.

2. What skills are needed to pursue a career in Computer Engineering or Computer Science?

Some essential skills for both Computer Engineering and Computer Science include strong analytical and problem-solving abilities, proficiency in programming languages, attention to detail, and the ability to continuously learn and adapt to new technologies. Additionally, strong communication and teamwork skills are important for collaborating with others in the field.

3. What job opportunities are available for graduates with a degree in Computer Engineering or Computer Science?

Graduates with a degree in Computer Engineering or Computer Science have a wide range of job opportunities in various industries such as technology, finance, healthcare, and government. Some common job titles include software engineer, computer systems analyst, data scientist, and network architect.

4. Is it necessary to have a degree in Computer Engineering or Computer Science to work in the field?

While a degree in Computer Engineering or Computer Science is not always required, it is highly recommended for most job positions in the field. A degree provides a strong foundation in fundamental concepts and allows for a deeper understanding of complex technologies. However, there are some alternative paths such as coding bootcamps and self-study that can also lead to a successful career in the field.

5. What are some emerging technologies or trends in Computer Engineering and Computer Science?

Some emerging technologies and trends in Computer Engineering and Computer Science include artificial intelligence, machine learning, Internet of Things (IoT), virtual and augmented reality, and blockchain. These technologies are continuously evolving and have the potential to shape the future of various industries.