Effective resistance of secondary circuit in transformers

In summary, a transformer is needed to reduce a voltage of 150 V in the primary circuit to 25 V in the secondary circuit. The primary circuit has 130 windings and the secondary circuit requires 22 windings. The effective resistance of the secondary circuit is 1500, but the exact value may vary depending on the load. The equations used to determine the number of windings and effective resistance are V2/V1=N2/N1 and Reff= R(N1/N2)^2, respectively. If the calculated values do not match the given answer, there may be an error in the equations used or the load may be affecting the results.
sarah68

Homework Statement

You need a transformer to reduce a voltage of 150 V in the primary circuit to 25 V in the secondary circuit. The primary circuit has 130 windings and the secondary circuit is completed through a 55 ? resistor. (a) How many windings should the secondary circuit contain? (b) What is the effective resistance of the secondary circuit?

Homework Equations

V2/V1=N2/N1

Reff= R(N1/N2)^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved part A. N2 is 22 windings. However, part B is 1500 but I can't seem to get that answer! I used the above equation but it doesn't give me that answer. Is the Reff equation that I'm using wrong? Please help me!

Physics news on Phys.org
i think you got the secondary circuit voltage and windings also. you its correct secondary circuit resistance is depend on load only.

Yes, but if I plug in the values with that equation I don't get 1500 for part B. I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

1. How is the effective resistance of a secondary circuit in a transformer calculated?

The effective resistance of a secondary circuit in a transformer can be calculated by using the formula: R = (V/I)^2, where R is the effective resistance, V is the voltage in the secondary circuit, and I is the current flowing through the circuit.

2. Why is the effective resistance of the secondary circuit important in transformers?

The effective resistance of the secondary circuit is important because it determines the amount of power that can be delivered to the load. A higher resistance means more power is lost as heat, resulting in a less efficient transformer.

3. How does the effective resistance of the secondary circuit affect the output voltage of a transformer?

The effective resistance of the secondary circuit has an inverse relationship with the output voltage of a transformer. A higher resistance leads to a lower output voltage, while a lower resistance results in a higher output voltage.

4. Can the effective resistance of the secondary circuit be changed?

Yes, the effective resistance of the secondary circuit can be changed by altering the number of turns in the secondary coil. More turns result in a higher resistance, while fewer turns lead to a lower resistance.

5. How does the effective resistance of the secondary circuit affect the efficiency of a transformer?

The effective resistance of the secondary circuit is one of the factors that determine the efficiency of a transformer. A lower resistance results in a more efficient transformer, as less power is lost as heat in the secondary circuit.