Two point charges connected by a massless rope

In summary, the two positive charges, q(a) and q(b), with masses m(a) and m(b), respectively, are held together by a massless string of length d. When the string is cut, the particles fly off in opposite directions with kinetic energy gained equal to the initial potential energy lost. Using the conservation of energy, the equation 1/2m(a)* v(a)^2 + 1/2m(b)* v(b)^2= k q(a)q(b)/ d can be used to calculate the speed of each particle when they are far apart.
KiNGGeexD
Question:

Two positive charges q(a) and q(b) and masses m(a) and m(b) are at rest, held together by a massless string of length d. Now the string is cut, and the particles fly off in opposite directions. How fast are each going when they are far apart.My attempt:

From this the first thing I done was make a formulae for the forces and apart from that my only ideas where to use the fact that when they are far apart the not energy which would need to be considered would be that of kinetic and the conservation of momentum would hold for this problem??

Any more ideas or how to develop my own is what I'm really looking for here, thanks a lot

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, you need to consider conservation of energy. What energy is lost as KE is gained?
Conservation of momentum will simply tell you that the mass centre of the system does not move.

The initial potential energy is lost as the kinetic energy is gained

Would I use the fact that the potential energy is the difference in work done of a conservative force, I.e coulombs force?

KiNGGeexD said:
The initial potential energy is lost as the kinetic energy is gained
Right. How much PE did the system start with? How much PE does it have when the particles are infinitely far apart? How much PE has been lost?

All the potential energy has been lost I would have though? As they are "far" apart

KiNGGeexD said:
All the potential energy has been lost I would have though? As they are "far" apart
Right.

So my expression for this would be of the form total kinetic energy gained is equal to total initial potential energy

KiNGGeexD said:
So my expression for this would be of the form total kinetic energy gained is equal to total initial potential energy
Yes.

Brilliant thanks for all your help

Would I then have 1/2m(a)* v(a)^2 + 1/2m(b)* v(b)^2= k q(a)q(b)/ dSorry this format is messy, I could post a photograph if it's easier

KiNGGeexD said:
Would I then have

1/2m(a)* v(a)^2 + 1/2m(b)* v(b)^2= k q(a)q(b)/ d

Sorry this format is messy, I could post a photograph if it's easier

That's right. For your second equation see post #2.

ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1398202069.964129.jpg

Excellent thanks for all you help

1. What is the relationship between the two point charges and the massless rope?

The two point charges and the massless rope are connected by the force of electrostatic attraction. The rope serves as a medium for the charges to interact with each other.

2. How does the distance between the two point charges affect the tension in the rope?

The tension in the rope is directly proportional to the distance between the two point charges. As the distance increases, the tension decreases and vice versa.

3. What is the direction of the tension in the rope?

The tension in the rope is always directed along the line connecting the two point charges. This is because the force of electrostatic attraction between the charges is a straight line force.

4. Can the tension in the rope be greater than the force of electrostatic attraction between the two point charges?

No, the tension in the rope can never be greater than the force of electrostatic attraction between the two point charges. This is because the rope can only transmit the force, not amplify it.

5. How does the magnitude of the charges affect the tension in the rope?

The magnitude of the charges has a direct impact on the tension in the rope. As the magnitude of the charges increases, the tension also increases. This is because the force of electrostatic attraction between the charges also increases with the magnitude of the charges.