Centripetal and centrifugal forces

In summary, a person inside a box rotating in a space station will experience a force mv^2/r along the radius of the rotation. This is due to the acceleration of the reference frame, and is not a real force but rather a virtual force. In a similar scenario, a person in a box being accelerated upwards will experience a force equal to their mass multiplied by the acceleration. This force is balanced by the force exerted by the box, resulting in an acceleration of the box. The mass of the box is not relevant in determining the force exerted on the person inside.
adjacent
Gold Member

Homework Statement

A space station is connected to a box(50kg) with a super strong string(1m) and it is rotating which makes the box rotate at a speed of 10m/s.
I am inside the box.
Find the force the box exerts on me.

Homework Equations

##F=m\frac{v^2}{r}##

The Attempt at a Solution

I found that centripetal force=5000N.
This force is exerted on the box by the string.
According to my experience,the "me" in the box would try to move opposite to the centripetal force direction but I heard that centrifugal force is not a real force.
So is the force exerted on me 5000N or something else?Can you explain why Newton's third law does not apply here?

Physics news on Phys.org
When we say centrifugal and coriolis forces are not real we mean they are virtual and they only exist if you are in a non-inertial reference frame,they are necessary to describe the motion in a non-inertial reference frame and you do experience it.

In your given problem , "you" will experience a force [itex]mv^2/r[/itex] along the radius i.e. radially outwards

Now when you choose a non-inertial reference frame i.e. your reference frame itself is accelerating , you have to account for that acceleration too, and with your perspective the object you observe will also have an apparent acceleration due to your reference frame's acceleration.
This is why when you are rotating ( which is an accelerated motion ) you have to introduce these virtual forces.

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
Oh.I understand now.
I have another similar problem:
The person A is inside a box and he is being accelerated at 10m/s^2 upwards.There are no external forces(Gravity,air resistance etc.)
A's mass is 50kg and the box is 1kg.
So according to Newton's second law,the upward force is 510N.
So,will I experience that 510N downwards?
I don't think so.If he exerts a 510N downwards and the rocket exerts a 510N upwards,the box would no longer be accelerating :confused:

adjacent said:
I found that centripetal force=5000N.
This force is exerted on the box by the string.
That would be true if the box were empty, but the question asks for the force the box exerts on you. Why would that be 5000N?
Can you explain why Newton's third law does not apply here?
It does apply. In an inertial reference frame, the force on you is unbalanced and results in an acceleration towards the spaceship. In your own frame, you are not accelerating but feel the force from the box, hence you invent centrifugal force to balance it.

haruspex said:
That would be true if the box were empty, but the question asks for the force the box exerts on you. Why would that be 5000N?
I can't find any other way to find a different value for the force :confused:

adjacent said:
Oh.I understand now.
I have another similar problem:
The person A is inside a box and he is being accelerated at 10m/s^2 upwards.There are no external forces(Gravity,air resistance etc.)
A's mass is 50kg and the box is 1kg.
So according to Newton's second law,the upward force is 510N.
So,will I experience that 510N downwards?
I don't think so.If he exerts a 510N downwards and the rocket exerts a 510N upwards,the box would no longer be accelerating :confused:
You will exert a force on the box of 50 x 10 = 500 N. The box exerts a force on you of 500 N. The total force on the box is the applied external force of 510 N minus the 500 N that you are exerting, ie. 10 N , so the box accelerates at 10 m/sec^2.

AM

Likes 1 person
Andrew Mason said:
You will exert a force on the box of 50 x 10 = 500 N. The box exerts a force on you of 500 N. The total force on the box is the applied external force of 510 N minus the 500 N that you are exerting, ie. 10 N , so the box accelerates at 10 m/sec^2.

AM
Thank you so much Andrew! This makes sense now :smile:
but:
Me said:
I can't find any other way to find a different value for the force :confused:

Last edited:
Andrew Mason said:

AM
Andrew, please reread the question. 50kg is the mass of the box, and has nothing to do with the force the box exerts on anyone inside it. Adjacent, to find the force it asks for you will need to weigh yourself.
Also, the speed of the box is 10m/s and the string is 1m long, so v2/r = 100, not 10. I don 't know where you got the 10N from.

haruspex said:
Andrew, please reread the question. 50kg is the mass of the box, and has nothing to do with the force the box exerts on anyone inside it.
I was responding the post #3 which I quoted. In that scenario, the A is 50 kg. and the box is 1 kg.

AM

Andrew Mason said:
I was responding the post #3 which I quoted. In that scenario, the A is 50 kg. and the box is 1 kg.

AM
Apologies. :blushing:

What is the difference between centripetal and centrifugal forces?

Centripetal force is the force that pulls an object inward towards the center of a circular path, while centrifugal force is the apparent outward force that is felt by an object moving in a circular path.

What are some examples of centripetal and centrifugal forces in everyday life?

Some examples of centripetal forces include the gravitational force that keeps planets in orbit around the sun, the tension force in a string that keeps a ball moving in a circular path when attached to a string, and the force of friction between a car's tires and the road that allows it to take sharp turns. Examples of centrifugal forces include the force felt by a passenger in a car when making a sharp turn, the force that causes clothes in a washing machine to stick to the sides of the machine, and the force that causes water to move towards the edges of a spinning bucket.

How are centripetal and centrifugal forces related?

Centripetal and centrifugal forces are two sides of the same coin, as they are both a result of circular motion. Centripetal force is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path, while centrifugal force is the apparent outward force that is felt by the object. In other words, centripetal force causes an object to move towards the center of the circular path, while centrifugal force appears to push the object away from the center.

What happens if there is no centripetal force acting on an object in circular motion?

If there is no centripetal force acting on an object in circular motion, the object will continue to move in a straight line tangent to the circular path. This is known as the law of inertia, which states that an object will continue in its state of motion unless acted upon by an external force.

How do centripetal and centrifugal forces affect the motion of objects?

Centripetal and centrifugal forces play a crucial role in circular motion, as they determine the direction and speed of an object. Centripetal force keeps an object moving in a circular path, while centrifugal force can cause objects to move away from the center of the circle. These forces also affect the tension, velocity, and acceleration of objects in circular motion.