Calculate Ea: Activation Energy Solution

In summary, to calculate Ea from the given information, the equation ln k = -(Ea/RT) + ln A can be used. However, since only time data is given, the temperature is needed to solve for Ea. The y-intercept from a graph of the given data is -4515.7x + 14.749 with an R2 value of 0.9964. Temperature data is necessary to convert the units of Ea from J/K*mol to kJ/mol.
magma_saber

Homework Statement

Calculate Ea from given info:
ln k = 0 t(sec-1) = 0.0033
ln k = -0.2 t(sec-1) = 0.00335
ln k = -0.4 t(sec-1) = 0.0034

Homework Equations

ln k = -(Ea/RT) + ln A

The Attempt at a Solution

I could find Ea if i had the temperature but I'm given the time. I think you can cancel out the ln A with the temperature can't you? But if you do that, Ea would be in J/K*mol, but Ea should be kJ/mol. This is all from a graph btw and the y intercept = -4515.7x + 14.749 and R2 = 0.9964. Am i suppose to treat this as y=mx + b?

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you have any temperature data? You are going to need it.

no temps are given. if they were, i would have been able to solve it.

same here

1. What is activation energy?

Activation energy is the minimum amount of energy required for a reaction to occur. It is the energy needed to break the bonds of the reactants and start the reaction.

2. How do you calculate Ea?

Ea, or activation energy, can be calculated using the Arrhenius equation: Ea = -R * ln(k/T), where R is the gas constant, k is the rate constant, and T is the temperature in Kelvin.

3. What factors affect the activation energy of a reaction?

The temperature, concentration of reactants, and the presence of a catalyst can all affect the activation energy of a reaction. Higher temperatures and concentrations generally result in lower activation energies, while a catalyst can lower the activation energy by providing an alternative reaction pathway.

4. Why is activation energy important?

Activation energy is important because it determines the rate of a reaction. Reactions with high activation energies require more energy to occur and therefore have slower rates, while reactions with lower activation energies occur more quickly. This information is crucial for understanding and controlling chemical reactions.

5. How can knowledge of activation energy be applied in real life?

Knowledge of activation energy can be applied in many areas, such as industrial processes, pharmaceuticals, and food preservation. By understanding the activation energy of a reaction, scientists can optimize reaction conditions to increase the rate of production or reduce energy costs. In pharmaceuticals, knowledge of activation energy can help in the development of more effective drugs. In food preservation, understanding the activation energy of microbial growth can aid in determining the best storage and processing methods to prevent spoilage.