How much energy is lost due to friction?

In summary, a 15.0 kg block is dragged 4.91 m over a rough, horizontal surface with a 74.9 N force acting at 17.6 degrees above the horizontal. The coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.266. The work done by the force is 351 J, the work done by the normal force is 0 J, and the work done by the gravitational force is 0 J. The energy lost due to friction is 162 J, and the total change in the block's kinetic energy is -189 J. The normal force is 124 N and the frictional force is 33 N.
fernancb

Homework Statement

A 15.0 kg block is dragged over a rough, horizontal surface by a 74.9 N force acting at 17.6 degrees above the horizontal. The block is displaced 4.91 m, and the coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.266.

Find the work done by the 74.9 N force = 351 J
Find the work done by the normal force = 0 J
What work does the gravitational force do on the block? = 0 J

This is the part i can't figure out:

How much energy is lost due to friction?

And related to that:
Find the total change in the block's kinetic energy.

Homework Equations

Ff = ((mu)k)(mg)
E = F*d

The Attempt at a Solution

Ef = ((mu)k)(mg) (d)
= 0.266*15*9.8*4.91
= 192 J

What am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
The friction force is not (mu_k)mg, it is (mu_k)N, where N is the Normal force, which , in this problem, is not equal to mg. Solve for the normal force first. The use the work energy equation or other method to get the change in KE.

So it'll be : Ff = (0.266)(74.9 sin17.6)
= 6.02 N

Then I took that and put it into W = Fd = (6.02)(4.91) = 29.6 J

Still wrong...?

fernancb said:
So it'll be : Ff = (0.266)(74.9 sin17.6)
= 6.02 N
The normal force is not 74.9 sin(17.6°) either.

Draw a Free Body Diagram.

Huh? do i use the mass in there somewhere?

When you draw a free body diagram, you note all forces acting on the block , in both the x and y directions. There are three forces acting in the y direction, one of which is the component of the applied force which you have correctly calculated. What are the other 2 forces acting on the block in the y direction? Then use one of Newton's laws to find the unknown force in that direction.

So the frictional force is:
Ff = (mu)k * N
= (0.266)* (74.9sin17.6 + (15*9.8))
= 45.1 N

But how would I calculate the work done? The block doesn't move in the y-direction, so I would think no work coule be done since W=Fd

fernancb said:
So the frictional force is:
Ff = (mu)k * N
= (0.266)* (74.9sin17.6 + (15*9.8))
= 45.1 N
You are not handling the plus/minus signs corerctly when calculating the normal force. The normal force and vert comp of the applied force act up, and the weight force acts down. The algebraic sum of these 3 forces adds up to 0, per application of Newton 1 in the y direction.
But how would I calculate the work done? The block doesn't move in the y-direction, so I would think no work coule be done since W=Fd
In the y direction, yes, there is no work done. But there is work done in the x direction. Find the work done in the x direction by the friction force. That is the energy lost due to friction. Then use energy methods to calculate the kinetic energy change.

Okay, so my normal force would then be

Fg = N + vertF
N= Fg - vertF
= (15*9.8) - (74.9sin17.6)
= 124 N

then my frictional force would be:
Ff = (mu)k * N
= (0.266) * (124N)
= 33.0 N

Work done by friction:
W = Fd
= 33N * 4.91m
= 162 J

fernancb said:
Okay, so my normal force would then be

Fg = N + vertF
N= Fg - vertF
= (15*9.8) - (74.9sin17.6)
= 124 N

then my frictional force would be:
Ff = (mu)k * N
= (0.266) * (124N)
= 33.0 N

Work done by friction:
W = Fd
= 33N * 4.91m
= 162 J
Be careful with signs...the work done by friction is -162 J , since the friction force is opposite the direction of the block's motion. The energy lost due to friction is 162 J. Now solve for the change in the object's kinetic energy, and watch signage, please.

1. What is energy loss due to friction?

Energy loss due to friction refers to the reduction of energy in a system caused by the resistance between two surfaces in contact with each other. This can occur when one surface rubs against another, causing heat and wear.

2. How does friction cause energy loss?

Friction causes energy loss by converting kinetic energy (energy of motion) into heat energy. As two surfaces rub against each other, the friction between them resists the motion, causing some of the energy to be converted and lost as heat.

3. What factors affect the amount of energy loss due to friction?

The amount of energy loss due to friction is affected by several factors, including the type of surfaces in contact, the force pushing the surfaces together, the speed of the motion, and the presence of any lubricants or other substances that can reduce friction.

4. How can energy loss due to friction be reduced?

There are several ways to reduce energy loss due to friction, such as using lubricants to reduce the friction between two surfaces, using smoother surfaces to reduce the amount of resistance, and minimizing the force pushing the surfaces together.

5. What are some real-world applications of energy loss due to friction?

Energy loss due to friction is a common occurrence in many real-world applications, including the brakes on a car, the movement of gears in a machine, and the friction between tires and the road. It can also be seen in everyday activities like walking, where the friction between our shoes and the ground causes some energy to be lost as heat.