Water drainage rate through soil.

by zzinfinity
Tags: drain, fluids, plants, soil
Share this thread:
zzinfinity
Nov10-12, 06:40 PM
P: 47
Hi,
I'm designing the attached aquaponic system and am trying to estimate the speed at which water will drain through the pipes. Basically, water enters the top of the pipe, then drains through roughly 5 feet of soil before it exits the pipe. Is there a way to estimate the speed at which the water will drain? I feel like it depends heavily on the type of soil. I was planning to use just your typical potting soil that you buy a a gardening store. Thanks!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf PipeDesign Model (1).pdf (95.2 KB, 7 views)
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
Hoverbike drone project for air transport takes off
Student develops filter for clean water around the world
Developing the next evolution in underwater communication
Simon Bridge
Nov10-12, 07:43 PM
Homework
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks ∞
P: 12,434
This is something you are best to determine empirically... do an experiment.
The drainage rate also changes over time.
zzinfinity
Nov10-12, 10:16 PM
P: 47
Thanks Simon, I wouldn't have thought of that :).

Chestermiller
Nov12-12, 08:40 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks ∞
PF Gold
P: 5,046
Water drainage rate through soil.

Quote Quote by zzinfinity View Post
Hi,
I'm designing the attached aquaponic system and am trying to estimate the speed at which water will drain through the pipes. Basically, water enters the top of the pipe, then drains through roughly 5 feet of soil before it exits the pipe. Is there a way to estimate the speed at which the water will drain? I feel like it depends heavily on the type of soil. I was planning to use just your typical potting soil that you buy a a gardening store. Thanks!
This is a problem in "flow through porous media." You need to measure the permeability and porosity of a typical soil sample in an appropriate standardized piece of equipment. The porosity is the volume fraction of voids, and the permeability is characteristic parameter that allows you to calculate the fluid flow per unit area through a sample of a certain length, for a fluid of a specified viscosity, and for a specified pressure drop. See a book on flow through porous media, or start by looking in Transport Phenomena by Bird, Stewart, and Lightfoot. This is methodology that is extensively used by the groundwater people and by the oil and gas people. Look for a book with the title Groundwater. I forgot the authors' names.

Register to reply