How to compute this integral ?

• Thread starter y33t
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, this integral can be simplified by substituting a hyperbolic function for the sine, tan, and cosine. It is not a particularly easy integral to evaluate, in that it is rather lengthy to do so.
y33t
As the title obviously states, how can I evaluate this integral by hand ? I know the result of it, I need to learn how to do it.

∫(z2+x2)-3/2dx

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Letting "x" be the variable to integrate first, set x=z*Sinh(u), where Sinh(u) is the hyperbolic sine function.

arildno said:
Letting "x" be the variable to integrate first, set x=z*Sinh(u), where Sinh(u) is the hyperbolic sine function.

I didn't get it, it's from a simple example from a textbook. There should be a simpler way of doing this because it just skips the evaluation of this integral and directly passes to the result as if it's "that" easy to do. Any simpler solutions ?

y33t said:
I didn't get it, it's from a simple example from a textbook. There should be a simpler way of doing this because it just skips the evaluation of this integral and directly passes to the result as if it's "that" easy to do. Any simpler solutions ?
No.

it is NOT a particularly easy integral to evaluate, in that it is rather lengthy to do so.
That is probably why your book skipped it.

dextercioby said:
x=z tan t can also do the trick.

Sure enough.
Scribbling out the solution with tan(t) or Sinh(t) takes about the same amount of time and space, though..

The actual derivation is rather lengthy, but here it is:
1. x=zSinh(t).
Thus, we have:
[tex]dx=z\cosh(t)dt[/tex]
[tex]z^{2}+x^{2}=z^{2}(1+\sinh^{2}(t))=z^{2}\cosh^{2}(t)[/tex]
Thus, the integral can be simplified to:
[tex]\int\frac{dt}{z|z|\cosh^{2}(t)}[/tex]
2. This is readily integrated to:
[tex]\frac{\tanh(t)}{z|z|}=\frac{x}{z^{2}\sqrt{z^{2}+x^{2}}}[/tex]

Arildno really likes the hyperbolic function substitutions. Personally, I prefer trig substitutions, perhaps only because they were the first ones I learned.

We know, of course, that [itex]sin^2(\theta)+ cos^2(\theta)= 1[/itex] and, dividing through by [itex]cos^2(\theta)[/itex], [itex]tan^2(\theta)+ 1= sec^2(\theta)[/itex].

So if we let [itex]x= z tan(\theta)[/itex], [itex]z^2+ x^2= z^2+ z^2tan^2(\theta)= z^2(1+ tan^2(\theta)_= z^2sec^2(\theta)[/itex]. Of course, [itex]dx= z sec^2(\theta)d\theta[/itex] so the integral becomes
[tex]\int\frac{z sec^2(\theta)}{z^3 sec^3(\theta)}d\theta= \int \frac{1}{sec(\theta)}d\theta[/tex]
[tex]= \int cos(\theta) d\theta[/tex]
which is easy.

Since [itex]\theta= arctan(x/z)[/itex], the integral will eventually give [itex]sin(arctan(x/z))[/itex]. You can imagine that as describing a right triangle with legs x and z (x opposite the angle) so that the hypotenuse has length [itex]\sqrt{x^2+ z^2}[/itex] and [itex]sin(arctan(x/z))= \frac{x}{\sqrt{x^2+ z^2}}[/itex].

Sorry that this is a bit late, but is Z a real number?
If not then you could use Cauchy: non-holomorphic points will be at z^2 = - x^2 ( e.g. x =1, z = i).

Last edited:

1. How do I know which method to use to compute an integral?

There are several methods for computing integrals, such as substitution, integration by parts, and partial fractions. The best method to use will depend on the specific integral and your comfort level with each method. It is important to review the integral and try multiple methods to determine which one is most suitable.

2. Can I use a calculator or computer program to compute an integral?

Yes, there are many online calculators and computer programs that can help you compute integrals. However, it is important to understand the steps and methods used to compute the integral, as relying solely on a calculator or program may not always be accurate or helpful.

3. How do I handle improper integrals?

Improper integrals are integrals that have one or both limits of integration at infinity or have a discontinuity within the interval. To compute these integrals, you can use a limit of integration that approaches infinity or use a change of variable to make the integral finite. It is important to carefully analyze the integral and determine the best approach for handling it.

4. Is there a shortcut or trick to computing integrals?

While there are certain techniques and methods that can make computing integrals easier, there is no shortcut or trick that can be applied to all integrals. It is important to have a solid understanding of the fundamental principles of integration and to practice solving various types of integrals.

5. What is the purpose of computing integrals?

Integrals are used to determine the area under a curve and to solve various mathematical problems in physics, engineering, economics, and other fields. They are also used in the process of finding antiderivatives and solving differential equations. Overall, computing integrals helps us understand the relationship between a function and its derivative and has practical applications in many areas of science and mathematics.