Current vs Voltage: Can Voltage Decrease Without Current?

In summary, the question is about the possibility of decreasing voltage without decreasing current and the answer is yes, by decreasing the load or using a Buck DC-DC converter. The formula V=IR and Ohm's law are also mentioned in the conversation. The original question was about making a charger with an output of 5V and 1.5-2A, and the suggestion for achieving this is to use a Buck DC-DC converter.
neeraj kaira
Is it possible to decrease the voltage without decreasing the current?

Engineering news on Phys.org
neeraj kaira said:
Is it possible to decrease the voltage without decreasing the current?

yes, by decreasing the load.

Your question out of context really doesn't make any sense.

phinds said:
yes, by decreasing the load.

Your question out of context really doesn't make any sense.

I know this any other formula for it

neeraj kaira said:

Yes.

V=IR.

Voltage=current X resistance

neeraj kaira said:

Your question out of context continues to not make any sense.

Haha again ohm's law

neeraj kaira said:
Haha again ohm's law

Look, you are wasting people's time. Please stop doing that.

State your full question and application clearly, or this thread will be deleted.

And you are wasting mine...stop commenting

Thread closed. Check your PMs.

Turns out his question was about DC-DC converters. From a PM exchange:

neeraj kaira said:
Ok let me tell you...i m thinking to make a charger which output should be 5v 1.5 - 2 A
And I'm getting 18 v after stepping down the voltage so i want ti decrease the voltage to 5volts keeping current high.
Hope you will get this .

berkeman said:
You use a "Buck" DC-DC converter to lower the voltage with high efficiency:

http://www.maximintegrated.com/app-notes/index.mvp/id/2031

They are available off-the-shelf, or you can build your own with a Buck DC-DC converter IC, an inductor, a diode, and a capacitor.

Regards,
berkeman
PF Mentor

1. What is the difference between current and voltage?

The main difference between current and voltage is that current refers to the flow of electric charge, while voltage is the measure of the force that drives this electric charge. Current is measured in amperes (A), while voltage is measured in volts (V).

2. Can voltage decrease without current?

Yes, voltage can decrease without current. This can happen when there is a decrease in the electrical resistance in a circuit, causing a decrease in the voltage drop across the circuit. However, there must still be a source of voltage present in the circuit for this to occur.

3. How do current and voltage affect each other?

Current and voltage are directly proportional to each other, according to Ohm's Law. This means that an increase in voltage will result in an increase in current, and a decrease in voltage will result in a decrease in current, as long as the resistance in the circuit remains constant.

4. Can current flow without voltage?

No, current cannot flow without voltage. Voltage is necessary to create an electric field that allows the flow of electric charge, which is what we measure as current. Without voltage, there is no force driving the electric charge to move.

5. How is voltage controlled in a circuit?

Voltage can be controlled in a circuit through the use of voltage regulators or variable resistors. These components can adjust the resistance in the circuit and therefore regulate the voltage. Additionally, the source of voltage in the circuit can be adjusted or changed to control the overall voltage.