Is Physics Unique? Exploring the Question of a Singular Description of Nature

• Thread starter dipole
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the question being posed is whether there is a good reason to believe that Physics is a unique discipline. While it is impossible to answer this question due to incomplete descriptions of nature, if a complete description were to exist, it is possible that there could be multiple theories that agree within experimental precision but have different assumptions and structures. This raises the question of whether a complete mathematical description of nature would be a unique one. While Godel's incompleteness theorem may not directly apply to physics, the possibility of unverifiable questions suggests that physics may never be a unique discipline. However, some believe that the different interpretations of quantum mechanics, which all make the same predictions, could be considered a single description of nature.
dipole
I've been wondering about this for a while, and it could make for an interesting discussion (or a stupid one if the answer is obvious, but it isn't to me). My question is, is there good reason to think that Physics is unique? Now, obviously this question is impossible to answer because we do not even have a complete discription of nature yet - i.e. both the Standard Model and GR are known to be incomplete.

However, assuming some complete description of nature does exist, which has absolute predictive power for any possible observation or measurement we choose to make (within certain limits on computability of course), then is it reasonable to expect that that description will be a unique one?

It seems to me that it may be possible for there to be many theories which will agree to within any possible experimental precision, but which make fundamentally different assumptions about the basic aspects of nature, and which are different in their mathematical structure.

If we could program a bunch of computers with the brilliance of Newton, and gave them each a vast array of experiemental data, would they each produce their own version of Physics? I'm inclined to think so, but it could be that it is necessary that there if there exists a complete mathematical desciption of nature, then it is a unique one. Perhaps this is closely related to the question of the "reality" of mathematics, which may border to close to Philosophy, if this thread doesn't already.

Physics news on Phys.org
dipole said:
If we could program a bunch of computers with the brilliance of Newton, and gave them each a vast array of experiemental data, would they each produce their own version of Physics? doesn't already.

What do you mean by this?

And I guess that due to uncertainty principle of QM, we can never predict everything. I found a good description of scientific determinism in Stephen Hawking's books. There are different possibilities : We may arrive at a theory after which we cannot progress further or we can get more and more accurate theories but not an exact one.

Also see Godel's incompleteness theorem.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G%C3%B6del's_incompleteness_theorems[/PLAIN]

Last edited by a moderator:
I won't pretend I can understand Godel's theorm by skimming a wiki article, but I'm not asking if Physics is homomorphic with Mathematics and thus subject to every mathematical theorem. I'm posing the question that if there exists a complete mathematical description of nature, if it will be a unique one.

Godel's theorem doesn't really apply the real world as I understand it. If you can phrase a question in such a way that it is ameanable to calculation and experimentation then there is no doubt about it's correctness - if the experiment and calculation agree, then that is proof. If you want to pose some mathematical question which can not be determined by experiment, then I don't really see how it's relevant to Physics.

Now, the fact that you can ask many questions which may be impossible to verify experimentally seems to imply that Physics will never be unique, but I don't think you can conlude that from that possibility alone.

Even I don't understand the theorem completely but I understand what it wants to convey. Well, I don't think the theory will be a unique one. In the case of M-theory which tries to unify GR and QM, it seems that we can try out different approaches and arrive at different theories which point at this one theory. Source: "The Universe In a Nutshell" by Stephen Hawking.

If experiment and calculation agree, then that is proof

No, if they agree with each other, they provide more support to the theory but you never know if one day some observation might not agree with predictions and that one observation is enough to prove the theory wrong(or less accurate).

dipole said:
However, assuming some complete description of nature does exist, which has absolute predictive power for any possible observation or measurement we choose to make (within certain limits on computability of course), then is it reasonable to expect that that description will be a unique one?

We have a number of different interpretations of quantum mechanics, which propose different stories about the way the universe "really works", but which are all constructed to make the same predictions about things that we can actually observe (even in principle). That is, they all reduce to the standard QM that one finds in textbooks. Would you consider these to be a single description or multiple descriptions?

1. What makes physics a unique science?

Physics is unique because it is the most fundamental of all sciences, providing the foundation for all other branches of science. It aims to understand the basic principles and laws that govern the behavior of matter and energy in the universe.

2. How does physics differ from other sciences?

Physics differs from other sciences in its focus on studying the fundamental laws and principles that govern the behavior of matter and energy. Other sciences may focus on specific areas or phenomena, but physics seeks to understand the underlying principles that govern all physical systems.

3. What are some real-world applications of physics?

Physics has a wide range of real-world applications, from technology and engineering to medicine and environmental science. Some examples include the development of new materials, the design of electronic devices, and the understanding of climate change.

4. How has physics evolved over time?

Physics has evolved significantly over time, from ancient civilizations' primitive understandings of motion and energy to the modern theories and technologies of today. Major advancements have been made through scientific experiments and observations, as well as the development of new mathematical tools and theories.

5. Can physics be used to explain everything in the universe?

While physics seeks to understand the fundamental laws and principles that govern the universe, there are still many mysteries and phenomena that have yet to be fully explained. Physics is continuously evolving and expanding, but it may never be able to explain everything in the universe.