Current peak delay after voltage peak

In summary: The delay is present for all changing signals, not just squarewaves, though it is more obvious and readily demonstrated by using squarewaves or rectangular waves.
anorred
Hello. So when you apply a square wave of voltage to a circuit, there is a slight delay for the electrical current. I'm trying to understand this concept better. I'd like to know if this delay is shorter with wire diameter.. if higher voltage decreases the delay time.. etc. Is there a name for this concept so I can read about it? Thank you.

Engineering news on Phys.org
all circuits have capacitive and inductive components to them. Capacitors delay changes in voltage until energy is stored or released in them in the form of an electric field. Inductors delay changes in current by storing energy in a magnetic field. The delay is usually called the phase angle when you have continuously changing signal.

If you are dealing with digital electronics, you are also dealing with propagation delay which includes some pretty complex quantum stuff. Even more significant, you have to give the logic circuits time to stabilize.

anorred said:
Hello. So when you apply a square wave of voltage to a circuit, there is a slight delay for the electrical current. I'm trying to understand this concept better. I'd like to know if this delay is shorter with wire diameter.. if higher voltage decreases the delay time.. etc. Is there a name for this concept so I can read about it? Thank you.
All devices and wiring have stray capacitance along the way, and there is an inevitable delay while this cpacitance is being charged. The capacitance can be dependant upon dimensions of the conductor, and proximity to other conductors. It is not dependent on voltage level in wiring, etc., but inside semiconductor devices it certainly can be voltage dependent.

The delay is present for all changing signals, not just squarewaves, though it is more obvious and readily demonstrated by using squarewaves or rectangular waves.

MrSparkle illuminated the topic well.

1. What is current peak delay after voltage peak?

Current peak delay after voltage peak refers to the amount of time it takes for the current to reach its maximum value after the voltage has already reached its peak value in a circuit or system. This delay is caused by the inductive or capacitive elements in the circuit, which take time to react to the change in voltage.

2. Why is current peak delay after voltage peak important?

Current peak delay after voltage peak is important because it affects the performance and stability of a circuit. It can also impact the accuracy of measurements taken in the circuit. Understanding and controlling this delay is crucial in designing high-quality circuits and systems.

3. How is current peak delay after voltage peak measured?

Current peak delay after voltage peak can be measured by using an oscilloscope. The oscilloscope can display both the voltage and current waveforms, allowing the user to measure the time difference between the voltage peak and current peak. The delay can also be calculated using mathematical equations based on the circuit's parameters.

4. What factors can cause current peak delay after voltage peak?

The main factors that can cause current peak delay after voltage peak are inductive and capacitive elements in the circuit. These elements, such as inductors and capacitors, store energy and take time to respond to changes in voltage. The length and complexity of the circuit can also play a role in determining the amount of delay.

5. How can current peak delay after voltage peak be minimized?

Current peak delay after voltage peak can be minimized by using circuit design techniques such as proper placement of inductive and capacitive elements, using high-quality components, and reducing the length and complexity of the circuit. Additionally, using components with lower impedance and optimizing the power supply can also help reduce the delay.