Why aren't humans born with the ability to swim?

• Thread starter Bladibla
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Animals
In summary, I think that animals, including humans, have a survival instinct that leads to the development of rudimentary skills for buoyancy.
Bladibla
How is that most animals, such as dogs or cats, have the basic instinct of knowing how to swim, and we don't?

Why arn't we born with the knowledge of how to swim?

Biology news on Phys.org
In general, if there is no selective pressure to preserve something genetically, for example all those who don't know how to swim will be eaten by a predator, then that genetic information can be filtered out in time.

There is an instinctual, albeit rudimentary, ability of humans to swim that can be observed very early in life. I used to teach young kids how to swim and the very young if submerged will close their mouth and kick in an attempt to swim. They weren't very good at it and it couldn't save their lives, but the skill was recognizable. We as a species have developed the need to acquire a large skill set in order to survive and this is best developed by learning from others. Perhaps the number and complexity of the many tasks we must learn throughout our lives has led to the need to learn these skills, rather than just perform them innately.

I've heard that newborns can swim instinctively. Its often used as evidence for the aquatic ape theory or our origin.

matthyaouw said:
I've heard that newborns can swim instinctively. Its often used as evidence for the aquatic ape theory or our origin.

I thought that was atributed to their nine month carriage period.

I'm not sure. I'm only what I've read in other places.

whozum said:
I thought that was atributed to their nine month carriage period.
Unlikely; swimming does not take place in the womb, nor is it necessary (a fetus who can't swim is in no greater danger of drowning than one who can).

Maybe not swimming, but bouyancy?

I think animals, including humans, have a survival instinct. Therefore, toss a land animal into the water and it will try to keep its head above water and propel itself back to shore. Its success will depend on its buoyancy, anatomy, etc. An adult human will try this too (provided he/she doesn't completely panic) and "dog paddle" back to shore. The thing about babies is that they are not as fully developed as many other land animals are upon birth (a likely consequence of our emphasis on brain development). Consider how babies are largely helpless for months after birth whereas many other animals are on-the-go after a matter of hours or days. I'm not sure a newborn dog/cat could do much better (please don't try this experiment!).

1. Why can some animals swim while others cannot?

Some animals have evolved specialized adaptations such as streamlined bodies, webbed feet, and fins that allow them to efficiently move through water. This allows them to overcome the resistance of water and propel themselves forward, making swimming possible.

2. How do animals breathe while swimming?

Aquatic animals have developed different mechanisms for breathing while swimming. Fish, for example, have gills that extract oxygen from the water. Other animals like whales and dolphins have blowholes that allow them to come up to the surface to take in air.

3. Can all animals swim?

No, not all animals have the ability to swim. Some animals, like birds, have feathers that are not conducive to swimming. Others, like land mammals, have not evolved the necessary adaptations for swimming. Additionally, some animals may not have access to bodies of water to swim in.

4. How do animals learn to swim?

Many animals are instinctively able to swim, meaning they are born with the innate ability to move in water. However, some animals may also learn to swim through observation and practice. For example, young dolphins and otters learn to swim by watching and mimicking their parents.

5. What are the benefits of swimming for animals?

Swimming offers a number of benefits for animals, including the ability to find food, evade predators, and migrate to new habitats. It also provides a form of exercise and can help regulate body temperature. Additionally, swimming can be a form of socializing for some animals, as seen in playful behavior among dolphins and other marine mammals.