General Relativity with the math

In summary, the conversation is about a high school student looking for a book that explains General Relativity and the math behind it. The student wants to understand the theory beyond just principles and concepts and is not afraid of advanced math. They are seeking a book that not only explains the concepts but also shows the math behind it, with recommendations for a specific book being made.
AcidRainLiTE
I am looking for a book that explains General Relativity and the math behind it. I have read about the principles and concepts, but that just does not satisfy my thirst for an understanding of the theory. I'm looking for something that explains the concepts as well as the math and the derivation of the formulas (I want to know why the formula is the way it is and how the mathematician came up with it). I am a high school student (Senior currently taking AB Calculus) but I am not afraid of advanced math. I understand that I am not currently at the math level that I need to be at to fully grasp the theory but I want more then just a set of formulas with explanations of the concepts; I want to see the math behind it, at least as much of it as I can understand. Any book recommendations? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Here's something that can help you...
http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/RelWWW/reading.html

Good luck,
Navneeth

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the concept of General Relativity?

General Relativity is a theory of gravity proposed by Albert Einstein in 1915. It describes the relationship between matter and the fabric of space and time, known as spacetime. According to this theory, massive objects such as planets and stars cause a curvature in spacetime, which we experience as gravity.

2. How is General Relativity different from Newton's theory of gravity?

While Newton's theory of gravity describes gravity as a force between massive objects, General Relativity explains it as a curvature in spacetime. Additionally, Newton's theory only works for relatively slow-moving objects and small gravitational fields, while General Relativity applies to all objects and gravitational fields, including those of extreme strength.

3. What is the mathematical representation of General Relativity?

The mathematical representation of General Relativity is a set of equations known as Einstein's field equations. These equations relate the curvature of spacetime to the distribution of matter and energy in the universe.

4. How has General Relativity been tested and proven?

General Relativity has been tested and proven through various experiments, including the observation of the bending of starlight by the Sun's gravitational field, the precise measurements of the orbit of Mercury, and the detection of gravitational waves by the LIGO experiment. These results have all been found to be in agreement with the predictions of General Relativity.

5. What are some of the practical applications of General Relativity?

General Relativity has several practical applications, including GPS technology, which relies on the precise understanding of time and space as predicted by this theory. It also helps us understand the origins and evolution of the universe, and has even been used in predicting the existence of black holes and their behavior.