Proving Inequalities for Numbers x and y: Graphs & Algebraic Methods

In summary, the given numbers x and y satisfy certain inequalities involving a. By sketching graphs or using algebraic methods, it can be shown that x + y \geq 2a and x \leq a^{2}y \leq a^{4}x. The first inequality can be derived from x^2 + 2xy > 0 and the second from x \leq a^{2} \leq xy and x^2 \leq a^2y. These results may not be exactly what the question is asking for, but they provide some insight and direction for further exploration.
whkoh
The numbers x and y satisfy [itex]0 < x \leq a^2, 0 < y \leq a^2, xy \geq a^2[/itex] where [itex]a \geq 1[/itex].

By sketching suitable graphs or otherwise, show that
[tex]x + y \geq 2a[/tex] and [itex]x \leq a^{2}y \leq a^{4}x[/itex]
---
I don't know what to sketch (tried [itex]x \leq 1, y \leq 1, xy \leq 1[/itex]), so I tried algebraic methods.

For the 1st:
[tex]y < x+y[/tex]
[tex]y^2 < x^2 + 2xy + y^2[/tex]
[tex]x^2 + 2xy > 0[/tex]

For the second one:
[tex]x \leq a^2 \leq xy[/tex]
[tex]a^2 \leq xy \leq a^{2}y[/tex]

I'm really lost on this. :confused:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
For the first one, i get this

[tex]xy \leq a^2y[/tex]
[tex]xy \leq a^2x[/tex]
[tex]2xy \leq a^2(x+y)[/tex]
[tex]2a^2 \leq 2xy \leq a^2(x+y)[/tex]

For the second one
[tex]x \leq a^2[/tex]
[tex]xy \leq a^2y[/tex]
[tex]a^2 \leq xy \leq a^2y[/tex]
[tex]x \leq a^2 \leq xy \leq a^2y[/tex]
[tex]x^2 \leq a^2y[/tex]

[tex]y \leq a^2[/tex]
[tex]a^2y \leq a^4[/tex] since y has maximum value equal to a²
[tex]a^2y \leq a^4 \leq a^2xy \leq a^4x[/tex]
[tex]a^2y \leq a^4x[/tex]

I know it is not exactly what they are asking, but it is as far as i can get from the top of my head. Others will most certainly correct me...

marlon

Last edited:
Thanks for your help!

1. What are inequalities and why are they important to study?

Inequalities refer to the unequal distribution of resources, opportunities, and outcomes among different groups of people. They are important to study because they can reveal underlying social, economic, and political issues that need to be addressed for a more just and equitable society.

2. How do you measure inequalities?

Inequalities can be measured using various statistical methods such as the Gini coefficient, which measures income distribution, or the Human Development Index, which measures overall well-being. Other measures include the gender pay gap, access to education and healthcare, and representation in leadership positions.

3. What are some examples of inequalities in society?

Examples of inequalities in society include income and wealth disparities, unequal access to education and healthcare, discrimination based on race, gender, sexuality, or disability, and unequal representation in government and corporate leadership positions.

4. How can we address and reduce inequalities?

To address and reduce inequalities, we need to first identify the root causes and work towards implementing policies and initiatives that promote equal opportunities and fair distribution of resources. This can include measures such as increasing access to education and healthcare, implementing anti-discrimination laws, and promoting diversity and inclusion in all areas of society.

5. What role does science play in understanding and addressing inequalities?

Science plays a crucial role in understanding and addressing inequalities by providing evidence-based research and data to identify and measure inequalities, as well as proposing solutions and evaluating their effectiveness. Scientists can also use their expertise to inform policy-making and advocate for more equitable and just societies.