Skiing in 11 Degrees - A Wild Winter Adventure

In summary, Warren went skiing at Mott Canyon twice and fell twice. He took pictures of the slope while he was skiing and riding up afterwards. He also took pictures of the canyon. He said that he would hike through the woods in the summer but would rather enjoy the view through a window while sipping hot cocoa and curled up with a good book.
russ_watters
Mentor
So this is where I've been hiding all week. The first two days it was in the upper 50s and I skiied in a t-shirt under my ski jacket shell. On the 4the day (Wednesday), it was 11 at the top of the mountain and snowing. The snow was nice, but we couldn't see bcause it was snowing so hard. Plus, I was starting to ice up...

Attachments

• bowl.jpg
    bowl.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 487
  • Mott.jpg
    Mott.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 466
  • snowman.jpg
    snowman.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 419
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm getting cold just looking at that last picture!

So, did you make it down Mott Canyon in one piece?

- Warren

I enjoyed that first pic cause you almost look like your skiing on the moon's surface.

Ow, that looks really cold. :eek:

Isn't that last picture what ski masks or face masks are made to prevent? :biggrin: We apparently can't let Russ go out into any extreme weather, hot or cold.

chroot said:
So, did you make it down Mott Canyon in one piece?

- Warren
Twice. Though, the second time, I fell near the bottom - stupid fall, went to stop and skidded on a patch of ice. I don't have any pictures of me in the canyon because the guy holding the camera for that pic (my roommate) wouldn't go into it.

russ_watters said:
Twice. Though, the second time, I fell near the bottom - stupid fall, went to stop and skidded on a patch of ice. I don't have any pictures of me in the canyon because the guy holding the camera for that pic (my roommate) wouldn't go into it.
So we just have to take your word for it that you went down that one and weren't just posing at the top to impress all the ladies, huh? :wink:

Moonbear said:
So we just have to take your word for it that you went down that one and weren't just posing at the top to impress all the ladies, huh? :wink:
Well, I took pictures of the slope while I was on it and riding up afterwards (you can't get to that particular lift by any other means)...

A few more pics...

Mott56 is Mott Canyon runs 5 and 6, the two I did. 5 is right under the lift, 6 is to the right - a little less defined of a trail (aptly called "Pine Nuts"). The second pic is just 6 from further up the lift (note the rocks that are in both pics). Moguls is a pic looking up at my roommate on a medium-hard mogul run.
Isn't that last picture what ski masks or face masks are made to prevent? We apparently can't let Russ go out into any extreme weather, hot or cold.
Ugh, I skiied four days and not once was I dressed properly. The first day was the worst - I just didn't believe that it was going to be near 60 and I was wearing thermals and ski pants. I had to get a locker to ditch most of my clothing and was still uncomfortable (sweating in nylon ski pants is pretty sick). That last day was actually the closest to being properly dressed that I was - and I had to take off my sweater in the morning, then put it back on in the afternoon (I think the temperature was dropping). Part of the problem is the mogul runs make you work and get your heart pumping (it doesn't help to suck on the moguls...). But yeah - could have used that face shield that was in my hotel room...

Attachments

• mott56.jpg
    mott56.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 476
  • mott6.jpg
    mott6.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 405
  • moguls.jpg
    moguls.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 468
Last edited:
And a couple more...

Me and my roomate at the top, overlooking the lake and one of me on a gladed run (a nice tem for skiing through the woods). Bad idea, those glades...

Attachments

• lake.jpg
    lake.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 406
  • glades.jpg
    glades.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 415
russ_watters said:
And a couple more...

Me and my roomate at the top, overlooking the lake and one of me on a gladed run (a nice tem for skiing through the woods). Bad idea, those glades...
Oh, no, no, no, unless you're cross country skiing. Just shushing through the snow.

russ_watters said:
Mott56 is Mott Canyon runs 5 and 6, the two I did. 5 is right under the lift, 6 is to the right - a little less defined of a trail (aptly called "Pine Nuts"). The second pic is just 6 from further up the lift (note the rocks that are in both pics).
Hey, that looks a bit like the walk from my parking lot to my office every day. :uhh: Okay, not really, but I guess I don't have to ask if you're really good at skiing or just like to goof around on the easy slopes now (unless you have broken bones you're not telling us about). :eek:

I'd gladly hike through those woods in the summer, but with all that snow on the ground, I'd much rather enjoy the view through a window while sipping hot cocoa and curled up with a good book. :biggrin:

What are the benefits of skiing in 11 degrees?

Skiing in 11 degrees can offer a unique and thrilling experience for adventure seekers. The colder temperature can lead to better snow conditions and less crowded slopes. It also requires more physical effort, making it a great workout.

Is skiing in 11 degrees safe?

As long as proper safety precautions are taken, skiing in 11 degrees can be safe. It is important to dress appropriately for the cold weather and to always follow the rules and guidelines set by the ski resort. It is also recommended to ski with a partner and to be aware of any potential hazards on the slopes.

What are the potential dangers of skiing in 11 degrees?

The main danger of skiing in 11 degrees is the risk of hypothermia or frostbite due to the cold temperatures. It is important to dress in layers and to take breaks to warm up if needed. Other potential dangers include icy conditions and reduced visibility, which can make skiing more challenging.

What equipment is needed for skiing in 11 degrees?

In addition to the standard skiing equipment such as skis, boots, and poles, it is important to have proper cold-weather gear for skiing in 11 degrees. This includes a warm and waterproof jacket and pants, gloves, a hat or helmet, and goggles. It is also recommended to have hand and toe warmers for added comfort.

What are some tips for skiing in 11 degrees?

To make the most out of your skiing experience in 11 degrees, it is important to stay hydrated and to take breaks to warm up if needed. It is also helpful to adjust your skiing technique to accommodate for the colder temperatures. Additionally, make sure to check the weather and slope conditions before heading out to the slopes.