How Do you create a ball n stick model?

• Thread starter chemstudent123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ball Model
In summary, the ball n stick model of dodecylbenzene is confusing and does not look like the diagram.
chemstudent123
How Do you create a ball n stick model of dodecylbenzene

Does the ball n stick model of a molecule match its structural diagram, and how?:confused:this is the structural diagram I'm using for sodium para-dodecylbenzene sulfonate
http://www.fsj.uAlberta.ca/chimie/chem161/1633_03with_files/image024.gif [Broken]

And this is what my Ball n stick model looks so far, I'm missing the dodecyl part because I'm not sure how it looks like, i tried google but it didn't give me any good images of it. (srry for the low quality pic, its was the only way i could upload it:frown: )
ballnstick.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Does ne1 know?:uhh:

that's probably not a very good structural diagram, you've got to emphasize the structure of every aspect of the molecule. However, I've got to admit that I'm not quite sure about the exact nature of this assignment.

i'm supposed 2 create a Ball n Stick model of sodium para-dodecylbenzene sulfonate, but I'm not sure how dodecyl looks like. I know benzene has a hexagonal shape but I'm not sure how dodecyl would look like.

I think its just a long chain alkane attached on the end of you benzene ring there.

The (CH2)10 repeating alkane occurs 10 times, hence decyl ( a little confusing if you think it can form a dodecahedron, however remember carbon generally only forms 4 covalent bonds and this one has 2 hydrogens already attached and is linked in a chain ).

.../\/\/\/\... is usually the shape you get, you can look up the specific bond angles if you like, its roughly 2/3Pi i think :yuck: and the hydrogens would poke in and out of the plane at 120deg to the carbons.

The p- in the chemical name gives you a clue to the how the groups attach to the benzene ring.

i think that how it looks...

ye thanks 3trQN that's what i did, i added a long chain that looks like /\/\/\ n i added 2 hydrogens to each carbon but it looks soo odd:grumpy: , has any1 ever seen a ball n stick model that looked like that (see above pic and imagine a chain of carbon with little hydrogens on top of each attached to the benzene ring that looks like /\/\/\/\/\) , if so please let me know.

1. How do you choose the atoms and bonds to include in a ball and stick model?

In a ball and stick model, the atoms are represented by spheres and the bonds are represented by sticks. The atoms and bonds to include in the model are chosen based on the molecule or compound being modeled. The atoms should represent the different elements present in the molecule and the bonds should reflect the type and strength of the chemical bonds between the atoms.

2. What materials are needed to create a ball and stick model?

To create a ball and stick model, you will need a variety of materials such as wooden dowels or toothpicks for the bonds, styrofoam balls or clay for the atoms, and paint or markers to color the atoms. You may also need wire cutters and glue to assemble the model.

3. How do you determine the scale for a ball and stick model?

The scale for a ball and stick model should be chosen based on the size of the molecule or compound being modeled. A common scale for ball and stick models is 1 inch representing 1 angstrom (Å), which is a unit of measurement for atomic distances. However, the scale can be adjusted to fit the desired size of the model.

4. What is the purpose of creating a ball and stick model?

Ball and stick models are used to represent the 3D structure of molecules and compounds. They help visualize the arrangement of atoms and chemical bonds, which can aid in understanding the properties and behavior of the molecule or compound. Ball and stick models are commonly used in chemistry education, research, and communication.

5. Can a ball and stick model accurately represent the structure of a molecule?

While ball and stick models provide a simplified representation of the molecular structure, they can accurately represent the relative position and connectivity of atoms in a molecule. However, they do not show the exact shape and size of the atoms, and other types of models such as space-filling models may be needed for a more accurate representation.