Can the Dirac Distribution be Proven Using Integrals?

In summary, the conversation discusses the definition of the delta function and the proposed exercise of proving the equality of two terms involving the delta function. It is suggested to integrate both sides to verify their behavior in an integral expression. The discussion also touches upon the use of LATEX and clarifies that the first term may not have a clear meaning if the equality is not a definition. It is also mentioned that the equality holds true if and only if it holds under an integral, with a hint provided for using the chain rule in the integration.
naima
Gold Member
bonjour from france,

I thought that sum of dirac(x - xi)/g'(xi), where the xi verify g(xi) = 0, was a definition for dirac(g(x)). It was proposed, as an exercise, to prove the equality of the 2 terms.
can one help me
thanks

ps : can i write this in latex?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Yes, you may write this in LATEX. Please do so.

thanks for your help but it was only the second question.

The delta function is defined by its action under an integral. Try integrating both sides and verify that they behave the same in an integral expression.

Yes, you are true but if the equality I try to prove is not a definition, I do not know what means the first term. In this case I cannot integrate it with a function to compare!

naima said:
Yes, you are true but if the equality I try to prove is not a definition, I do not know what means the first term. In this case I cannot integrate it with a function to compare!

I think StatusX means that what you want to show is true if and only if is true "under an integral", i.e., if

[tex]\int^{\infty}_{-\infty} f(x) \delta \left( g \left( x \right) \right) dx = \int^{\infty}_{-\infty} f(x) \sum_{i} \frac{\delta \left( x - x_{i} \right)}{\left| g' \left( x_{i} \right) \right|} dx,[/tex]

where [itex]g \left( x_{i} \right) = 0[/itex] for each [itex]x_i[/itex], and [itex]f[/itex] is an arbitrary test function.

Note that I've inserted an absolute value and a summation.

Hint:

[tex]dx = \frac{1}{\frac{dg}{dx}} dg.[/tex]

Last edited:

What is the Dirac distribution?

The Dirac distribution, also known as the Dirac delta function, is a mathematical function that is used to represent a point mass or impulse at a specific point in a continuous domain.

How is the Dirac distribution defined?

The Dirac distribution is defined as a function that is equal to zero everywhere except at a single point, where it is infinite. This point is usually denoted as δ(x) and its integral over the entire real line is equal to one.

What is the significance of the Dirac distribution in mathematics?

The Dirac distribution is commonly used in mathematics to represent a point charge, point mass, or point source in a continuous system. It is also used in various fields of physics, such as quantum mechanics and signal processing, to model idealized point-like interactions.

How is the Dirac distribution applied in real-world scenarios?

The Dirac distribution is used in engineering, physics, and other fields to simplify calculations and model idealized situations. It can also be used to approximate other functions and solve differential equations.

What are some properties of the Dirac distribution?

Some properties of the Dirac distribution include: it is even, it is not a function but a generalized function, it is not defined at the origin, it has an infinite height at its single point, and it can be shifted, scaled, and integrated like a regular function.